Quote Originally Posted by AthenaOfDelphi
I'm just experimenting with a D5 compiled EXE and a FreePascal compiled DLL.... its not going well :?
As far as I know, which isn't very far, the ShareMem constraints require both the DLL and Executable to have the unit required as its first unit; I don't know if FPC's "ShareMem" is compatible with Borland's because they can't just rip it off Delphi. You might have to require Delphi compiled DLLs just to get it working fully.

And I understood the gist of your initial reply anyway, so... I really don't know what pointlessness you removed.

I know the speed differences between compiled code and run-time interpreted, but I also know that some scripting engines support compilation of their code, giving some performance gains. Fortunately, or unfortunately, I think DWS2 has this feature so that might help a little.

The only danger I possibly foresee is that in coding an extension DLL for a game, is that someone could inject malicious code into it rather easily. So for the sake of safety against the myriads of viruses out there, you should probably build in a validity check like an MD5 hash file for each extension that gets checked each launch of the game. Potentially the risk is low, most viruses can inject their code into a system DLL, but it is there nonetheless.