Thread: Freaky hardware, need your opinions here!!!

Freaky hardware, need your opinions here!!!

Something's really wrong with my pc. Speedfan and Everlast shows that after around 30 minutes of working everything goes too OVERHEATED, and my fan speed increases to abnormal speed!

Temperatures in Celsius:

Cpu - 41 to 55! (Pentium D 3.100 mzh, this should be normal speed)
    Axillary - -17 to 70 (Feel III series, probably has no sensor to read tempretarure, but when I touch the case it's definitly too hot)
    HDD - 32 - 44
    Fan speed: 4116 rpm

The problem is, this happens always, even if I do nothing, the computer is just turned on.

Tensions looks like this:

+12: 3 to 13.79!!!
    -12: -0.42 to -0.27?
    -5: -4.91 to 1,51!!!

The rest of tensions seem just fine. I know that accepted changes are +/- 5%, so something's definitly wrong.

Auxillary and mainbord (Via series) are brand new, the tension in my home was checked by a proffesional and everything seems fine.

One more thing, my harddrive (samsung ij120hd, 120 gb) shows: Reallocated sector count, backup and replace - this is a phisical error, so it's fatal.

Any ideas what happend? Should I throw everything away and buy a new harddrive/motherboard/etc?[/b]

Check Task Manager if there are no processes working in background that loads CPU up to 100%.

Only "system idle process", 75 - 98%, uses 16k of memory, but I guess that's what xp does normally?

Quote Originally Posted by godbeast
    Only "system idle process", 75 - 98%, uses 16k of memory, but I guess that's what xp does normally?
    IDLE is what idle is.. the processing power NOT used, it's actually showing how much cpu is not used, it's not using any cpu.
    This is my game project - Top Down City:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...y-Topic-Reboot

My OpenAL audio wrapper with Intelligent Source Manager to use unlimited:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...source+manager

-12: -0.42 to -0.27?
    -5: -4.91 to 1,51!!!
    Axillary - -17 to 70
    The sensors are not present or are of type not supported by your monitoring software that shows you water level in the Mars oceans instead. Disable monitoring for these.

Cpu - 41 to 55!
    55 is a normal working temperature for CPUs. I'd start to worry if it went above 65.

HDD - 32 - 44
    As a sysadmin in a lab of PCs I can say that some models (namely, Maxtors) work at 50 or even 55C without any problems.

One more thing, my harddrive (samsung ij120hd, 120 gb) shows: Reallocated sector count, backup and replace - this is a phisical error, so it's fatal.
    Then it's not a good idea to continue using that HDD. It means its reserve sector pool it uses to transparently relocate bad sectors is full. Usually happens when hard drive is on its last breath, so you'd better backup your data and replace the hard disk.

Also, it is extremely unadvisable to move, not to say tilt, a PC when it's on.

So its just a harddisk... Has enyone encountered similar problems? Is there a chance that Samsung's service will fix it?

Never, and as far as I know, it's cheaper to buy 10 new hard drives than to just retrieve your data from one broken (prices around $3000 are not uncommon). You need an extremely expensive "clean room" to operate on hard drives and building such room costs from million dollars and up.

In your case the problem is most likely caused by damaged media, and that is (as far as I know) incurable. If dust particles did somehov get inside, the damage will increase exponentially until the media and heads are totally destroyed.

You can only buy a new one.

But better still, bring your PC into service center. Let professionals check it.

Yea, I read that if your reallocation sector count is anything above 0 it means that drive failure is imminent! Back up your stuff ASAP!
    My site: DelphiTuts.com (coming soon)...

Download Font Studio 4.21 here.

f your reallocation sector count is anything above 0
    No, you're wrong. It's normal for any hard drive to a few relocated bad sectors.
    It becomes dangerous when this number is growing and you run out of spare sectors -- in which case the S.M.A.R.T. parameter for "relocated sector count" reaches zero and you get a warning if your S.M.A.R.T. monitoring is on.

I noted a massive increase in temperature recently. My core is a crap P4 prescott which is hot, but this went to 80 celcius and choked my computer:

cause: blocked dusty heatsink