Since January I have been coding my own MMORPG. Development is going well thanks to some of the advice given here

Here is a work in progress screenshot:-

<edit, removed link, old site >

Clients can now login and walk around. I have made quite a lot of progress. We have proprietry image libraries, login server, message server, main server, dev kit (library and image tools, map editor, animation tool), prototype scripting engine, prototype AI engine, gfx, music, sounds etc. etc. Most of the system works perfectly at the moment, but I need to optimize some of the routines, and the worst is yet to come...

GFX take an age to prepare, due to the fact that the engine is 2.5D. We are using LightWave 3D and other 3D packages to produce gfx from 8 different angles, which can then be imported into image libraries. Very time consuming

I have the main character walking about (scroll tile based) the maps, I just need to display other characters now... (I had previously done this, but once I added smooth scrolling, the code needed rewritting) Finally comes the character interaction and other creatures.

I am looking for ideas, and could do with talking to people who have experience in MMO games! We are looking for more artists, I have 2 guys working on GFX, but I am having to render stuff myself at the moment, and believe me, I would rather not

Website should be available soon. In the meantime you can find updates on my site:- www.c5software.co.uk