Thread: Where do I start?

Where do I start?

Could anyone please recommend a good place to start with learning how to write games in fpc. I used turbo pascal 7.0 previously and have a pretty good grip on the basics (arrays, matrices and records) but thats about it. I just need a really basic tutorial to get me started cause the ones I found online are out of my league at this point.

Where do I start?

This site is a good start to get the language nailed

http://www.delphibasics.co.uk/index.html

it explains the Delphi language elements, I still use it when I forget stuff (coding in many different languages means sometimes I forget stuff... oh, me having a crap brain doesn't help matters )

The it's just a matter of picking a components set, library or framework and doing the hard graft.

I've heard good things about Asphyre, perhaps you should look into that. I've never used it myself though.

Best of luck.

Where do I start?

Games can be complicated, you know Search for some books about objects pascal, learn about classes, try to rewrite your tp source to fpc (see their page, there is a section about it). Meanwhile, see the Forums sessions, especially Freepascal Basics and Game Libraries and Components. Then choose a library with you would like to use, have some patience installing it and try out the demos.

For 2D stuff, I recommend these two:

Jedi-SDL
    Phoenix

They have good demos, they are easy to understand. You'll find their developers here at PGD

Blog Entries

Where do I start?

There are lots of different places that you can start.

I think the best thing to do if you are a true beginner at game programming is to research what graphics, sound and input libraries you'd want to use. You can then look at demos and samples from the various ones and see which you prefer for whatever your reasons.

For FPC specific support, I'd recommend JEDI-SDL as I use it myself. The Phoenix library is supposed to be quite good too. You could try your hand at using the OpenGL and DirectX headers, but those can be a bit much for a beginner to start with.

OpenAL headers for sound are actually surprisingly easy to use --I find-- if you have a few good demos to see how it is setup. Though a quick understanding of 3D audio can help figure things out too.

There are other things, but those would be the best for FPC out of the box.

Also, if you wanted to learn how to make a simple game to start there is my tutorial series, aimed at beginners, in the Articles section of PGD. I use Lazarus and the JEDI-SDL library to keep things simple and provide all the sources so it is easy to follow.

Feel free to check it out; Artillery Game Tutorial
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder