Thread: Flexible sound system

Flexible sound system

It's time to add sound system to my RPG-project..

So, I checked this forum area and I decided that probably that OpenAL would be nice. Thought, now I got new problem:

There's very interesting system with those lakes I have added to the game: they are square areas with few (30-50 etc.) waterparticles. Particles just flies in that area randomly: every time they hit the lake's "wall", it bounces. And that's good place to play "water sound" :twisted: <- playing the sound won't happen always, just randomly..

.....^-> though that bounce-and-play-sound- system won't work now since particles now moves way too slow for that because of that randomizing..

But, the problem itself: I got OpenAL working etc. now in the game, and there are Playsound- methods etc. So, it should just work with sounds.play(waterparticle.sound); but it won't work: the sound just bursts some ear-killing sounds, you know.. so the original sound wont hear :P

Well, I thinked that probably it's true that one sound can play only once at time; if it's playing arleady and you try to play it, it stops, and restarts.. but no. I made little testprogram which plays this same sound every time I click the form; it played smoothly and well; many times at once, producing nice "I'm at lake"- feeling.. :D

But.. why it won't then work in the game..?

Little sample code.. (uhh, I never like to show my codes in public :( )

Code:
    &#123;
      xs is vertical speed and ys is horizontical..
      pq is quantity of lake particles and g&#91;&#93; is array of particles
    &#125;
      for i &#58;= 0 to pq do begin
        if random&#40;25&#41;=0 then begin
          g&#91;i&#93;.x &#58;= g&#91;i&#93;.x + g&#91;i&#93;.xs;
          g&#91;i&#93;.y &#58;= g&#91;i&#93;.y + g&#91;i&#93;.ys;
          if g&#91;i&#93;.x > self.lp.x-16 then begin g&#91;i&#93;.xs &#58;= -g&#91;i&#93;.xs; e&#58;=true;  end;
          if g&#91;i&#93;.x <self> self.lp.y-16 then begin  g&#91;i&#93;.ys &#58;= -g&#91;i&#93;.ys; e&#58;=true; end;
          if g&#91;i&#93;.y < self.ap.y+16 then begin  g&#91;i&#93;.ys &#58;= -g&#91;i&#93;.ys; e&#58;=true;  end;
        end;
        if random&#40;500&#41;=0 then sounds.find&#40;g&#91;i&#93;.sound&#41;.play;

can.Draw&#40;Asphyreimage.Image&#91;g&#91;i&#93;.grf&#93;, extrax+g&#91;i&#93;.x, extray+g&#91;i&#93;.y, 0, fxBlend&#41;;
      end;
    I already tried to add each g[] their own sound.. same result :/ didn't helpo. And ate lot of memory ;D

..by the way.. is it very dump to use random() function like that? It reduces usage of CPU and makes lakes look a bit more slow, like in nature.. :D I'm using very peculiar methods in this game though :)

Ahh.. what an messy message.. sorry for that. Hope someone gots it. I'm a bit tired right now, and head full of stuff :)
    Making ultimate rpg with thousands of years and every time new random history, people, world....

Flexible sound system

What exactly are you trying to do and what exactly is the problem?
    This is my game project - Top Down City:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...y-Topic-Reboot

My OpenAL audio wrapper with Intelligent Source Manager to use unlimited:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...source+manager

Flexible sound system

Quote Originally Posted by Delfi
    What exactly are you trying to do and what exactly is the problem?
    Welll.. To be able to play a single sound many times in same time. How is it possible?

..sound "layering"
    Making ultimate rpg with thousands of years and every time new random history, people, world....

Flexible sound system

Check out my signature, there's a link to my sound library based on openal which does just that! and it's free to use
    This is my game project - Top Down City:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...y-Topic-Reboot

My OpenAL audio wrapper with Intelligent Source Manager to use unlimited:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...source+manager