Thread: Vinci to take advantage of 64-bit & Linux using FPC

Blog Entries

Vinci to take advantage of 64-bit & Linux using FPC

Marc Hoffman over at RemObjects talks about what they are going to be doing for their latest 'Vinci' release this upcoming June. Among the many things planned, Free Pascal and Lazarus compatibility are among them.

The purpose of this move is to allow Chrome written Object Pascal programs to be easily recompiled and ported to Linux and 64-bit Windows as well as other such platforms such as Mac OS X and Windows CE. Support for Lazarus's IDE is also in the works and Marc writes about that also.

FPC is the first open source compiler to offer support for the win64 platform with the release of Free Pascal 2.1.4 just last week.

[size=9px]"With the first release of 'Vinci' this June, we are providing full FPC support for the core RemObjects SDK and Data Abstract libraries, supported on four platforms: 32-bit Windows (i.e. the same platform as supported through Delphi), 64-bit Windows, as well as 32- and 64-bit Linux on the x86 and x64 architectures."[/size]

Marc also notes that Kylix support will be officially dropped.

[size=9px]Read more about RemObject's plans for Vinci on Marc Hoffman's blog post: Vinci Part #11 - Support for 64-bit and Linux through Free Pascal[/size]
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Note that Remobjects SDK has nothing to do with Chrome. I think the title is wrong; Chrome will not take advantage of FPC (at least I do not see how), but for Remobjects SDK it makes a lot of sense to make it FPC compatible.

Blog Entries

Right you are, making the correction.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder