Hey Chebmaster, how about you stop sowing the seeds of a flamewar, and get back on topic?

Turbo Delphi, as an IDE, was based on .NET, yes. However, not a single application coming from Turbo Delphi uses it unless you use the .NET enabled version. I hate .NET just as much as you, and for some pretty good reasons/bad experiences.

But see, Delphi has one upped Freepascal in two areas:
1) User Friendliness
2) Ease of Use

It took me some 10 tries to add a search path to the library so I could include an external source package. Yeah, it finally worked, but by the time I was done I wanted to kick it. I still don't know how to enable a conditional compile, possibly with multiple conditions.

In Dephi? Forget it, I was done the first try. No hassle, no mess, no need to fiddle around in the user manual and try to figure the whole dumb thing out.

Unless it is for console/non-visual applications FPC sits in my software "closet". I use Delphi for everything else.

And as to OSes ... if MS built their next OS off Unix it would take more effort for backwards compatibility and to enable software development upon the new platform with their own tools. I don't like Vista either, but you don't have to be so damned snappy about it and hijack the thread!