Quote Originally Posted by czar
Still what it boils down to is that you are not likely to get a job programming in FPC. So if you want to program in pascal for a living then learning to use delphi is the way to go.
I just got two contracts in the past few months doing fpc/web related work. Long term, not rentacoder one-offs. Today I had 3 people contact me through email for work. Some of the people that contact me don't even know what FPC/Delphi is, others know Delphi well but need server related work done and choose FPC.

FPC will be better off if people start making websites advertising consulting, that is for sure. I did, and I successfully closed down most of my computer hardware sales business because I now make more money earning from FPC and web related work.

By the way, if someone doesn't f*cking make a FPC consulting website soon, I'm going to get all the FPC consulting work and have a monopoly. So hurry the f*ck up folks. And I want to raise my rates, and the only way to do that is to have more than one FPC consultant in the entire world. If you have too few consultants, then rates are poor. If you have too many, rates are poor. If you have somewhere in between, the demand gets high since there are enough of them out there for the code to be valuable (portable/transferable) and rates are good. i.e. PHP programmers get paid much less than C programmers because there are tons of PHP programmers but not too many C programmers, but enough C programmers to make C code hot dollar sh*t.

Also, even though I explicitly state on my consulting pages that I'm an FPC dude, I still get people contacting me each and every month for doing Ruby/Php/Miscellaneous work because they know if I'm capable and I have a clue, I can learn other languages that they need the work done in.

So let's try and kill the myth that FPC is a hobby compiler, folks. When I say go and put a website up advertising FPC consulting, I mean do it now. Not later. [/b]