Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Announce: Mechatron (Robotron remake) ready for beta test

Announce: Mechatron (Robotron remake) ready for beta test

Quote Originally Posted by nzo2
    I have no idea what's happening with your keys: I am using the usual DXInput for reading the keys and this is the first time this has been reported. So you are saying that 2 movement keys cannot be pressed at the same time?
    It is very strange. I'll try to explain: It seems like 3 keys can be detected but not 4. If I move left and fire up/left diagonally (so left arrow + WA are pressed) then it works but if I then want to move down also (by pressing down arrow together with the other 3 keys) it just keep moving left. So I have to let go of the fire button to start moving diagonally.

The same thing happens with all other combinations of 3 keys, like moving diagonally and firing straight: if I want to fire diagonally then I have to release a movement key.

My computer is a standard configured Windows XP computer, and I have no keyboard problems with other games. I really hope you can fix this because it is a bit annoying.

About the difficulty curve: The first time I played I went on for 20 minutes or so with a 500k score, and then I intentionally lost all my lives because it did not become more challenging and I felt like I could keep playing forever . The original Robotron is my all time favorite game and I still play it regularly on Xbox Live Arcade (which is based on the original ROM).
    ZGameEditor - Develop 64kb games for Windows.
    Thrust for Vectrex - ROM-file and 6809 source code.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehnerschaender
    I played to level 6 or so when a "Floating point division by zero" error occured at level startup...

Can't tell anything clearer, because it came all of the sudden and it was unable to see anything except a black screen with that message box.

You should check all your divisions in source code and check for zero before you divide.
    Bah I thought I had that one. I will check all possible divide by zero again.

Quote Originally Posted by VilleK
    Quote Originally Posted by nzo2
    I have no idea what's happening with your keys: I am using the usual DXInput for reading the keys and this is the first time this has been reported. So you are saying that 2 movement keys cannot be pressed at the same time?
    It is very strange. I'll try to explain: It seems like 3 keys can be detected but not 4. If I move left and fire up/left diagonally (so left arrow + WA are pressed) then it works but if I then want to move down also (by pressing down arrow together with the other 3 keys) it just keep moving left. So I have to let go of the fire button to start moving diagonally.

The same thing happens with all other combinations of 3 keys, like moving diagonally and firing straight: if I want to fire diagonally then I have to release a movement key.

My computer is a standard configured Windows XP computer, and I have no keyboard problems with other games. I really hope you can fix this because it is a bit annoying.

About the difficulty curve: The first time I played I went on for 20 minutes or so with a 500k score, and then I intentionally lost all my lives because it did not become more challenging and I felt like I could keep playing forever . The original Robotron is my all time favorite game and I still play it regularly on Xbox Live Arcade (which is based on the original ROM).
    Well, I`ll try and duplicate pressing extra keys and see what happens.
    I have read that DXInput can be an issue on XP and beyond?

With a little luck, the original game level data will be the default set, but the difficulty curve seems to be in need of some attention. I think you will find it getting quite difficult bt level 50 or so and it can't be so difficult as to not be able to get to level 256 (and beyond) at all

Quote Originally Posted by VilleK
    It is very strange. I'll try to explain: It seems like 3 keys can be detected but not 4.
    This is usually a hardware keyboard limitation. Some keyboards have really crappy controller that is not able to remember more than specific number of keys pressed at the same time. So, where is high probability what you problem is not software problem at all.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Updated: 0.0.3.1 online now.

Quite a lot of new stuff and fixes. Oh.. and this version has the original ROM levels now !!!

Excellent! Now it feels much harder, just like the original. And it's great that you have the real level-data. No complaints so far.
    ZGameEditor - Develop 64kb games for Windows.
    Thrust for Vectrex - ROM-file and 6809 source code.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12