Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exception mayhem. Beware of DLLs.

Exception mayhem. Beware of DLLs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebmaster
    And why exactly?
    Plus, it's still in the alpha stage, not even feature-complete, not to say about the real, in-use testing. :roll:
    well due to the "hacky" nature creating virtual methods to get VMT slots you use to store class-type data is...ugh, well not nice as the very least second - making it multi-instanceable would be a plus, at the moment it can only load only 1 thing at the same time (uses global variables, I believe that making it support multiple threads won't be much of work)....

creating virtual methods to get VMT slots you use to store class-type data is...ugh, well not nice as the very least
    Well... My goal was speed. Not just speed, but lightning-fast speed. And calculating class index by searching through a pointer table, for each instance... It just wouldn't do.
    I believe I achieved it. Any further improvement would require rewriting the thing in assembly language. So it's like a racing car, with beefed-up engine and everything pushed to its limit.

Saving game world size of Morrowind would take just a fraction of second with it. And hacking the VMT is an important part of it.

second - making it multi-instanceable would be a plus,
    Would be good, but... You saw the scary tale om my engine above. The chepersy I offer for public is a severely simplified version of the original. You see, in my engine its functions are scattered between the host program and the module dll. This is also done for speed: the integrated chepersy can write to a specially organized buffer in memory, with as little data copying as technically possible, allocated in 4Kbyte pages.

So it is impossible to wrap it in a class -- classes cannot cross the exe/dll boundary. Without that... I'd need to track all instances manually, via indexes. Doable, theoretically, but too hard for me to maintain

when you want OOP semantics across dlls/processes, use interfaces, they can simplify life a lot...hacking the VMT is fine for me (sometimes a hack is the best thing you can do if you need to achieve your goals) but like I said I wouldn't put it in production code because there you cannot afford such hacks....

because there you cannot afford such hacks...
    Hmm... :? Maybe I should implement a "no-hack" version someday if I find free time for it. It's really simple.

when you want OOP semantics across dlls/processes, use interfaces,
    Thank you, I'll look into them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12