Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fpc4gp2x: GP2X Console Development

fpc4gp2x: GP2X Console Development

Hi Guys and Gals

If you are interested, I have had success with compiling SDL programs for the GP2X handheld console using the devkitGP2X and a freepascal cross-compiler program that I built from the freepascal source code.

At the site (http://fpc4gp2x.eonclash.com/) I have uploaded a simple sdl tutorial that compiles under Win32 and gp2x, and I have also written some documentation on how to set it all up!

The site also says where to get the devkitGP2X and freepascal cross-compiler stuff from that is required.

Enjoy!!
    cheers,
    Paul.

Paul,

Thank you very much for your response and information.

I have just finished downloading the documentation and sample program. I hope to spend time studying them later this afternoon.

I'm really looking forward to working on the gp2x with Pascal.

Thanks again,
    Joe

I'm trying to understand Paul's configuration information and have a question.

There are two locations for arm-linux-ar.exe (as an example):
    C:\devkitGP2X\bin
    and
    C:\FPC_win32_arm-linux\bin\arm-linux

They have different dates (and different sizes). Which directory is the correct one to use (and why are there two -- I'm just trying to understand the pieces)?

Thanks,
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDonth

and

They have different dates (and different sizes). Which directory is the correct one to use (and why are there two -- I'm just trying to understand the pieces)?

Thanks,
    Joe
    So the downloaded cross-compiler file also contains arm-linux-ar.exe?

I must have deleted it from my local copy...it isn't needed and I should update the uploaded file. Sorry about that.

You should delete all the arm-linux-*.exe files in your cross-compiler \FPC_win32_arm-linux\bin\arm-linux folder.

The ppcrossarm.exe file in the cross-compiler folder is used as well as the arm-linux-*.exe files in the C:\devkitGP2X\bin folder.

Hope this helps :-)
    cheers,
    Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls

and

Thanks,
    Joe
    So the downloaded cross-compiler file also contains arm-linux-ar.exe?

I must have deleted it from my local copy...it isn't needed and I should update the uploaded file. Sorry about that.

You should delete all the arm-linux-*.exe files in your cross-compiler \FPC_win32_arm-linux\bin\arm-linux folder.

The ppcrossarm.exe file in the cross-compiler folder is used as well as the arm-linux-*.exe files in the C:\devkitGP2X\bin folder.

Hope this helps :-)
    cheers,
    Paul.
    I have updated my fpc4gp2x site with a note about removing the arm-linux-*.exe files from the cross-compiler folder.

cheers,
    Paul.

In order to be fpc-compliant, I think that should be better to put binutils and compiler in %fpc%/bin/arm-gp2x. However, do you have contacted Florian for releasing your port in the SVN server?
    Get your fpc4gba copy now!
    Get your fpc4nds copy now!

Paul,

I hope this question does not fall into the category of "Is he kidding!?", but I am having trouble compiling your gp2x_tutorial program from the command line into a WIN32 exe. It can't find the system unit.

Do I need to install a different version of the FPC or can I use the one that you provided?

What compiler command would you issue to compile the dpr program?

I'm issuing the following:
    ppc -FiC:\GP2X\FPC\units\arm-linux\rtl C:\GP2X\Projects\gp2x_tutorial\gp2x_tutorial.dpr

Also, would it change if I was compiling a support unit like SDL.pas?

Thanks,
    Joe

Paul,

I hope this question does not fall into the category of "Is he kidding!?", but I am having trouble compiling your gp2x_tutorial program from the command line into a WIN32 exe. It can't find the system unit.

Do I need to install a different version of the FPC or can I use the one that you provided?

What compiler command would you issue to compile the dpr program?

I'm issuing the following:
    ppc -FiC:\GP2X\FPC\units\arm-linux\rtl C:\GP2X\Projects\gp2x_tutorial\gp2x_tutorial.dpr

Also, would it change if I was compiling a support unit like SDL.pas?

Thanks,
    Joe
    I normally use Lazarus (www.lazarus.freepascal.org) to compile the project for Win32, so I haven't had a problem.

I am not sure what the pcc.exe would be used for, but I don't think it is for creating Win32 programs (but don't quote me on this )

Have you managed to make Win32 programs using ppc.exe?

I am pretty sure that to compile a Win32 version of the project you either need a Win32 version of Lazarus or freepascal (or Delphi of course)...

When using Delphi, Lazarus or freepascal to compile a project, the 'support' units like sdl.pas should be compiled just fine...it is only when doing the cross-compile to GP2X using the batch file that this should be an issue.

cheers,
    Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Donth
    Code:
    I prefer using the command line to Lazarus. Unless you have edited the fpc.cfg file to point to the jedi-sdl directory, you will need to pass the directories where the sdl.pas and jedi-sdl.inc file are as well via the command line. I would tend to use...

Code:
    fpc -FiC:\GP2X\FPC\units\arm-linux\rtl -FiC:\{path to jedi-sdl} -FuC:\{path to jedi-sdl} C:\GP2X\Projects\gp2x_tutorial\gp2x_tutorial.dpr
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

savage,

Thank you for your suggestion. I was able to compile Paul's tutorial program and run it on my Windows box!

Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast