Although it's a good idea, I don't think that having dropdown menus would help at all in this situation.
It would turn the forum into some sort of support system.

We may as well use Bugzilla if that's the case.

It would take a fair amount of development to implement for use by a few new users until they find their feet.

The majority of the users wouldn't use them, they're not appropriate most of the time anyway.

I think that new users should be coached in the acceptable use of the forums. A little nudge here and there. So if we keep the help me section, they read an understand the rules, what the purpose of the help me forum is.

I still don't think we need it, but that's only my opinion which I've voiced once already (although, on re-reading, my comment was perhaps fairly insensitive.. for which I apologise.. bad stuff happening in my life atm)

I remember a time when Technomage and I used to share a house, it was my first foray into Pascal, I'd got quite a lot of development experience already but not in Pascal, it was the little things which I was getting stuck on. I'd always ask him, "How do I do this?" "How do I do that?" before even consulting the tomes of documentation I had sitting right by my side in the form of the Delphi development guides.. not to mention the internet.

In the end, he got fed up with this and told me "RTFM!" He was right, I'd got the answers right next to me, but it was easier to ask him and get a good explaination than look up the answers myself.. trouble was, I wasn't learning anything for myself.

After that day, I made a serious effort to learn under my own steam and I'm glad I did.

I'm not suggesting that the people using the Help Me forum are like this at all, but that sometimes you get Better knowledge by doing a bit more research, then asking the questions than just asking the questions and hoping someone else fully understands what you mean.

This site has a good community, who help with pretty much any subject on any level. I've seen sites where people post asking others to pretty much write their entire game for them and sites where the established users won't assist newer users. That doesn't happen here.

This is a great site.