Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Object Pascal on Game Consoles

Blog Entries

Object Pascal on Game Consoles

Here is a quick and dirty guide as to what compilers will allow you create games for which platforms. So far...

Free Pascal (open source / free)

:arrow: GameBoy Advance -- Native as of 2.1.4 and up.
    :arrow: Nintendo DS -- Native as of 2.1.4 and up.
    :arrow: GP2X -- Uses the ARM/Linux target. Working, but full support libraries still in progress.
    :arrow: XBox -- Very, very early pioneering in progress. Nothing practical yet.

Chrome

:arrow: XBox 360 / XNA -- Non-native, some support issues still revolve around Visual Studio properly supporting the XNA framework fully.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Why would gp2x be non-native? It's a Linux device, and FPC feeds it Linux software.

Blog Entries

It's not a specific target for the compiler as of yet, but would an Arm Linux compile completely support the GP2X without any incompatibilities?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

There are no modifications to the compiler necessary to support the gp2x. Perhaps some gp2x specific libraries could be usefull, but this is not a task of the compiler. (Afaik SDL is used currently.)

Blog Entries

Ok well in that case I've updated the info to be more accurate.

I think a lot more information on the GP2X needs to be posted and/or released to those interested in picking up FPC and starting a project.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Doesn't there exist anything out there that allows you to develop for Sony products (ps ps2, ps3 or psp) in pascal?

If not there should be. It's the greatest console out there.
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

There is nothing yet as Sony are not really keen on Home Brew stuff. But if they want to really embrace user driven content, as they claim they do, they need to release a tool similar to XNA. Actually as a for starters, they should port SDL to the PS3 and PSP Native ( it already works on PS2 Linux ), that way anyone writing for Windows, Linux and MacOS can also target PS3. This would be way better than XNA which only allows XBox 360 and Windows at the moment.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

I believe the ps3 also supports linux out of the box. http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/

So it should be possible to us fpc on it, and of such sdl should be useable also.

Also mesa should be workeable also Yellow Dog Linux has optimized mesa for the cell claiming 80speed software renderer compared to intel?
    http://ps3.qj.net/GDC-2007-Terra-Sof...g/49/aid/86065
    AND
    http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=7209

So whe should treat the ps3 as an linux ppc box.
    http://3das.noeska.com - create adventure games without programming

Blog Entries

All Playstation systems afaik use the MIPS processor. So FPC would need to support MIPS before that would happen.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Vector Pascal supports the PS2 emotion engine as back end. I have no idea how useable this is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast