Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Salvoes Away!

Salvoes Away!

I am writing a battleship clone called "Salvoes Away!" using freepascal.
    It is currently in 320 x 240 resolution so it will fit on the GP2X as well when finished.

Here is a screenshot of a randomly placed (and rotated) fleet containing

1 x Aircraft carrier (size 5 squares)
    1 x Battleship (size 4 squares)
    1 x Cruiser (size 3 squares)
    2 x Destroyer (size 2 squares)
    2 x Sub (size 1 square)

and 20 random hit locations showing misses as an 'x' and hits as ticks.

cheers,
    Paul.

Salvoes Away!

Great stuff Paul! Bumped to news item.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Salvoes Away!

Hello Paul, I'll reply to your thread instead of carrying this on in the Memory thread.

I'd be interested in your game as long as it ends up having all of the common elements. It's my feeling that Memory shows the bare minimum in that it has the proper splash, credits, and options screens within the game itself.

I've always loved battleship and think it would be a great addition to the listing. The only major concern I would have would be about the screen size being 320x240. Any chance you can have a 2nd set of graphics and an option to run the game at 640 or 800 in full screen or windowed mode?

PS: Sorry it took so long to get back to you, was on vacation and no plans on touching a computer while I was .

- Jeremy

Salvoes Away!

Quote Originally Posted by jdarling
    Hello Paul, I'll reply to your thread instead of carrying this on in the Memory thread.

I'd be interested in your game as long as it ends up having all of the common elements. It's my feeling that Memory shows the bare minimum in that it has the proper splash, credits, and options screens within the game itself.

I've always loved battleship and think it would be a great addition to the listing. The only major concern I would have would be about the screen size being 320x240. Any chance you can have a 2nd set of graphics and an option to run the game at 640 or 800 in full screen or windowed mode?

PS: Sorry it took so long to get back to you, was on vacation and no plans on touching a computer while I was .

- Jeremy
    Hi Jeremy :-)
    It shouldn't be a problem for me to make a second set of tiles for a higher resolution, or I could even try using Scale2x or similar to scale up the output when running under Windows :-)
    cheers,
    Paul.

Blog Entries

Salvoes Away!

Just a warning with that 2X scale, I've tried using it in my SDL title Subject 33 and I found that it drastically slowed down the speed of the game.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Salvoes Away!

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    Just a warning with that 2X scale, I've tried using it in my SDL title Subject 33 and I found that it drastically slowed down the speed of the game.
    Thanks for the tip Will, I may just go with larger tiles then :-)
    I will try the scaling first though just in case ;-)
    cheers,
    Paul.

Blog Entries

Salvoes Away!

Well actually if you find a way to simple scale x2 without much speed loss, please let me know. The method I used what with the included sdlutils.pas unit so maybe there is a much batter/smarter way that I don't know of. :?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Salvoes Away!

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    Well actually if you find a way to simple scale x2 without much speed loss, please let me know. The method I used what with the included sdlutils.pas unit so maybe there is a much batter/smarter way that I don't know of. :?
    If The speed of the scaling is not good enough for realtime, I may use the hq2x scaling 2x algorithm (http://www.hiend3d.com/hq2x.html) (gives nice smooth output) to create the new 640x480 tile set and use those directly without any scaling!! :lol:

cheers,
    Paul.

Salvoes Away!

Paul, have you found a pascal version of hq2x? I always thought it looked very promising, but haven't found a good way to link it into my games. If one doesn't exist, a conversion may be a good community project to start up .

Salvoes Away!

I remember seeing the smart filtering ( http://www.hiend3d.com/smartflt.html ) demo years ago and it was very nice indeed. A pure portable pascal version of hq2x or others would be very nice as well.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast