Thread: Looking for project of counter strike type

Looking for project of counter strike type

Hi all!

I hope this first post of me is not placed completly in the wrong subforum. I am not sure about that though.

Well, what I am looking for is a project which is is trying to create a game/mod similar to counter strike but is using a Pascal language instead of the common C/C++ language. I looked extensivly in the internet for such project and also in this forum but I couldn't find a fitting one. Most important features of the game is that it is a first person shooter and the fun is more important than realism.

I am experienced in FreePascal/JEDI-SDL (hobby/several years) but wouldn't call myself a professional. This is also the reason why I am not willing to found such a project myself. I neither have the time nor the experience. Btw I am also willing to work for a project as freelancer.

Maybe anybody knows a project. Thanks alot.

Blog Entries

Hi Reiter,

Welcome to PGD!

There are a few FPS engines floating around the community.

:arrow: Quake2Delphi -- Quake 2 open source translation to Object Pascal under Delphi

:arrow: Doom Conversions -- There are numerous just look through the My Projects forum and you'll see a couple that have recently been released.

:arrow: Area 52 -- A 1-on-1 FPS with Mechs for the PGD Dogfight Competition. Source code was a requirement so you can find it here.

:arrow: XTropper -- Looks quite interesting so you might get some use out of this. It's like an 'Aliens' (the movie) type of game. Clicky

:arrow: SpiderLand 3D -- This was based off the XTropper source. Same sort of game. Clicky

:arrow: Genesis Device -- Next gen FPS engine being developed right now. There is a game project and a release of engine source is supposed to be released really soon. Actually this one would be a great project to join as they were looking for extra members some time ago. Thread here with videos!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Hi WILL!

Thanks for the fast reply. I will check out your hints. In a first quick review of all the hints I think the Genesis Device could get interesting but actually that would mean I had to start from scratch (unfortunately I don't have the time for that).

Maybe I should mention additionally that a further important feature of the project is that it should be playable online or online-only.

I'm working on a game engine and one of my game projects is a online FPS (for engine testing purposes). However, I haven't got to the networking part yet and I haven't decided what library to use for that.

If you're interested in helping with the online part of the engine, send me a PM and I could send you the engine documentation so that you can see what it is like.
    If you develop an idiot proof system, the nature develops better idiots.

Hi and welcome Reiter.

Do you want an existing game or only the engine?
    Maybe glscene is a suggestion if you are looking for the engine itselves.

[offtopic]
    vgo, what network libraries do you currently have in mind?

At the moment I am writing one myself which is a hell of a lot harder than I thought.
    There are certain problems where I am running into, the server is using mssql for data, and its kinda slow. It is stable untill about 100 connections... Still not too bad I think, but certainly not the goal I want to archieve.
    Thanks in advance.
    [/offtopic]

Sorry for so much offtopic talk!
    "What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence."

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo
    vgo, what network libraries do you currently have in mind?
    Indy, SDLNet or RakNet. These seem to be the best options, but I guess the best way to decide is to try to make a simple test app with each and see which is the easiest to use and best in performance/feature wise.
    If you develop an idiot proof system, the nature develops better idiots.

Hi Angelo,

you are right, actually I was looking for an existing project where I could join in. Since most of the given suggestions provide engine projects or game projects that don't fit too good to my request I conclude there are no active projects which try to create a team based and fast paced shooter in pascal.

The GLscene lib seems to be more a 3d render engine than made for fast paced 3d shooters. Thanks though.

Re: Looking for project of counter strike type

Alright, anything written above is about 2 years old. Still looking for a project as described. As I am following any Pascal/3d progresses very anxious I fear no such project is on the way, but however, maybe someone knows something more.

I will characterise the project I'd like to participate in brief outlines:

- 3d first person shooter
    - preferably team-base (counterstrike like, alien vs. predator, even quake like...)
    - multiplayer only (or additionally single player option)
    - platform independent (use of platform independent libs; OpenGL, no DX and so on)
    - preferably open source
    - tries to use modern technology; not a port of outdated 3d engines

In the C community there are several such projects running (e.g. check http://policeforces.linux-home.org/) but never saw one for Pascal. There are several powerful 3d engines released for Pascal and I studied some of them very carefully but nonetheless I am still not able to found such a project myself for described reasons (inexperience, lacking time).

Any hint is very welcome.