Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kosek
FPC is a bit superior to the D06 lineup, specifically the Turbos in my case, as it is more stable. Turbo Delphi will crash easily for me, without trying even, and I get stuck with all sorts of bogus errors that prove that Delphi was indeed written in C++. But, I heard that D07 was incredibly stable in comparison to its predecessor. Having looked at the roadmap for the future releases of Delphi I can only say I'm am extremely disappointed.
in the first sentence you meant Lazarus and not FPC I guess FPC IDE cannot be even compared to the Delphi one I own D2007 and I am very satisfied with it, so far no crashes at all....I got 3 exceptions, 2 of them were caused by the fact that some files were marked as read-only and they could not be overwritten.....it's also fast (apart from Code Completion ), load times are also a lot better than previous versions (if you spend 2 hours rebasing packages the IDE loads it's even better )...so overall it's a very good product (finally), yet it can get even better....when it comes to the roadmap - I don't like it neither, all "goddies" are planned for next year or the year after which is kinda too far away, people have waited long enough....on the other hand you also have to take into consideration that they are a new company and Highlander was already being worked on in the "old Borland" with clear .NET focus and it wouldn't make sense to abandon almost finished features....Unicode VCL and RTL are great and I think CG cannot bring those features any sooner than next year considering all the facts but Win64 support in 2 years is the main "show-stopper" for most of the people....I hope they'll at least release DCC64 pre-release or something with Tiburon....

operator overloading in FPC is nice yet maybe too "non-OOPish" but it does its job well....when it comes to +=, -=, etc. operators, I really do not like them that much, they should have stayed with C....there is one thing I like about FPC and that it is commited to be a competitor with C/C++ more than with C#...as a result it is introducing features which helps you write faster code in a nice manner unlike CG which is fighting with C# and it is bringing OOP features which are nice but either result in slower code or are just syntactic sugar...