Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Mundo 3D MMORPG

Blog Entries
    Well that is great to hear. All those years of work seems like it'll be finally paying off. I'd save the 1.0 number until you do add enough content to classify it 1.0 playable though. Create a small town/village and some region to explore to make it MMO-scale worthy. What's an MMO RPG that you can't have a few places to explore right?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Mundo 0.21 released!

The main feature of this release is the quests. Say "quest" to the NPC to get a quest. When completed turn back to NPC and say 'hi' to get your reward.

Here is the change-log of this release:

* Added quests.
    * Added mouse camera.
    * Created a key switch to client show the fps (F12).
    * Created Class diagram at doc/Class Diagram.dia.
    * Created TSoundList Class and changed the game to use it.
    * TBackPackForm and TLootForm refactored to inherit from TForm.
    * TForm class refactored to inherit from TControl.
    * Fixed dino lifebar position by the height property.
    * Fixed distance of dino attack.
    * Fixed backpack to not allow click in their slots when closed.
    * Improved server exception handling.

The project is hosted at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gamemundo/

The test server is up! The src folder has the executables: mundo.exe for windows or just mundo for Linux.

The controls are: arrows to walk, space to attack, click mouse and drag to rotate camera, ENTER to post chat, Z to run, X to jump, F12 to switch show FPS, ESC to exit.

Pascal developers are invited to join

Thanks for your feedback.

I can't seem to get the linux version to run. I tried to compile it but that has a few problems as well. you must be using a very old fpc because the declarations are in a bad order
    Code:
    TImage = class(TControl)
      private
        procedure DrawBox;
      public
        procedure Draw; override;
        TextureId : gluint;
      end;
    images.pas(19,5) Error: Fields cannot appear after a method or property definition, start a new visibility section first

Code:
    TGameObj = class
      protected
        procedure setGoalX(const AValue: Real); virtual;
        procedure setGoalY(const AValue: Real); virtual;
        procedure setGoalZ(const AValue: Real); virtual;

public
        {$IFDEF CLIENT}
        Gravity: boolean;
        {$ENDIF}

//XMin, ZMin, XMax, ZMax: Real; //Walk Range

X, Y, Z: Real; //Current Position

function CurPos: T3DCoord;

RX, RY, RZ: Real; //Current Orientation

fGoalX, fGoalY, fGoalZ: Real; //Goal Position

GoalRX, GoalRY, GoalRZ: Real; //Goal Orientation

Id: Integer;

property GoalX: Real read FGoalX write SetGoalX;
        property GoalY: Real read FGoalY write SetGoalY;
        property GoalZ: Real read FGoalZ write SetGoalZ;

constructor Create; {$IFDEF SERVER}virtual;{$ENDIF}
        destructor Destroy; override;

{$IFDEF CLIENT}
        procedure Draw; virtual; abstract;
        {$ENDIF}
      end;
    /home/carver413/Downloads/mundo021/src/common/games.pas(50,5) Error: Fields cannot appear after a method or property definition, start a new visibility section first

there are numerous errors like this all threw the code.

Quote Originally Posted by Carver413 View Post
    I can't seem to get the linux version to run. I tried to compile it but that has a few problems as well. you must be using a very old fpc because the declarations are in a bad order
    It's true, I'm using FPC 2.2.4-3, but current stable is 2.6.0 (released January 1st, I heard that Lazarus is not ready for this yet).
    I will upgrade the source as soon as possible.
    In the meantime, if you want to test the binary, there is a Linux client binary in src/client/mundo. The server is up.

I couldn't get the binary to run. it does nothing at all. I may be missing a lib or something put I would have not Idea what.

It is possible to upgrade fpc your self if you feel up to it. I'm using Lazarus .931 and fpc 2.60. it works so much better then .930
    Last edited by Carver413; 14-01-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Blog Entries
    I have an idea to put something new and fresh into your game...

What might be something (semi?)unique you could try; have players able to submit their own quests and they can offer/deposit their reward and allow other players to try to solve those quests for the prizes.

So lets say Johnny wants a special sword from some cave somewhere or some other kind of rare sword that he's heard of. Well lets say Johnny has been playing for a while and has gathered a substantial sum of gold. He may or may not have the specific skills or level to make it to the area or maybe he doesn't want to do the leg work or whatever. So he goes to a place added to the game --call it the 'Quest Desk' or whatever-- and he depostis say sets up the quest and writes the description and puts about 10,000 gold into the quest he just created as a reward.

Now anyone who comes back to the Quest Desk with the sword he requested can 'Resolve' the quest by putting the sword into it and claiming the reward. You can allow anybody to go to the Quest Desk and read all the quests currently posted or if you posted one that hasn't been completed, cancel it and get your posted reward back. You can also add the possibility of other tasks such as killing a specific player or someone from a specific clan or getting wolf pelts or delivering a message, etc... It's something that I've not seen or heard of in any RPGs or MMO style games. It would make your game stand out.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I think this idea of the user defined quests sounds brilliant! It does sound unique too

Quote Originally Posted by Carver413 View Post
    I couldn't get the binary to run. it does nothing at all. I may be missing a lib or something put I would have not Idea what.
    The dependencies are glut and openal. We will have a deb package in the future to an easy install.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    I have an idea to put something new and fresh into your game...

What might be something (semi?)unique you could try; have players able to submit their own quests and they can offer/deposit their reward and allow other players to try to solve those quests for the prizes.

So lets say Johnny wants a special sword from some cave somewhere or some other kind of rare sword that he's heard of. Well lets say Johnny has been playing for a while and has gathered a substantial sum of gold. He may or may not have the specific skills or level to make it to the area or maybe he doesn't want to do the leg work or whatever. So he goes to a place added to the game --call it the 'Quest Desk' or whatever-- and he depostis say sets up the quest and writes the description and puts about 10,000 gold into the quest he just created as a reward.

Now anyone who comes back to the Quest Desk with the sword he requested can 'Resolve' the quest by putting the sword into it and claiming the reward. You can allow anybody to go to the Quest Desk and read all the quests currently posted or if you posted one that hasn't been completed, cancel it and get your posted reward back. You can also add the possibility of other tasks such as killing a specific player or someone from a specific clan or getting wolf pelts or delivering a message, etc... It's something that I've not seen or heard of in any RPGs or MMO style games. It would make your game stand out.
    Really cool idea! We need some creative features to stand out from the other MMORPGs.

Blog Entries
    I'm glad you liked the idea.

Coming up with all original content is a really tough thing to do for an indie, especially in the MMO scale. To give people an idea of how much it takes to "do it right" in a real commercial project take a look at Blizzard. Their company employee roster soared as soon as World of Warcraft came into the picture. It engulfed the entire company for years so that they could keep up and those folks were quite successful with their already 3 successful franchises (Warcraft, Diablo, Starcraft) and earlier titles which made them a company capable of starting such a thing of that scale.

So any tricks or concepts you can use to help augment that void of developer-created content, by all means pursue!

A good example are new user-generated content games like Little Big Planet(PS3), ModNation Racers(PS3) and Minecraft(PC). All of these games primarily provide a platform and resources for the players to generate their own content and so it takes away from the workload of the developers and with it allows the player a new and exciting aspect of play which is just as interesting.

I'm not saying turn you whole game around into a user-generated content game, but you can certainly use ideas from that genre and make them work towards helping the players create their own in-game activities such as quests, items, mini-games, actually users generating new areas to explore, etc...

Maybe you could unleash your map editor (if it's in a "user ready" state) to the public and let them design new areas or castles, dungeons, fortresses, villages and so on as a contest? PGD would definitely help spread the word to get more people interested in it.

Anyhow just a mini-rant to maybe give you some ideas to build other ideas upon.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast