Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 10th dimension

10th dimension

Converting matter into energy is something which has been thought about for a long time, Star trek for example.. the trouble is always, how to get the energy back into matter in exactly the same order, shape and state as it was originally..

imagine the scenario, you convert your matter into energy and send it at the speed of light toward some other destination..
    part of you consists of energy, so even by reforming your matter back into its original order and shape (no mean feat I expect) putting the energy back in exactly the same place would be (using typical British understatement) tricky... you'd end up as a piece of meat devoid of life.

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.. which is how travel in a frictionless vacum is possible.. by throwing out objects at a velocity, you use force and therefore accellerate through space up to that velocity (examples are rifle kick and jumping out of a rowing boat)... another reason why travel faster than light is impossible, you cannot create impulses faster than light so therefore, you cannot travel faster than light... Unless there is a particle faster than light.. but then what would happen to your body and energy? The speed of light is supposed to be absolute so if do achieve the speed of light, you would die..

The only workaround is trans-dimentional voodoo to get around this limitation...

(back on track with the original thread )

the one thing which hasn't been considered enough I think is Dark matter...

Apparently, there's lots of it.. what is it? what is it made from? what are it's properties? what happens when Dark matter meets regular matter?

10th dimension

@jason, what is Dark...

I believe that Dark is nothing.
    For example if you turn the lights of, you see black.
    Why? Simply because there is no light, no light = black (of course if you turn of the lights you will see some things, but that is reflection).

It depends on how you define Dark yourself.
    Are you talking about Dark itself or i.e. Dark in the space.
    Because Dark in the space is just the result of no light, but inside there is something, for example gasses and stuff.

So, I think it matters how you define Dark...
    And I define Dark as Dark itself.
    If you do not believe this, what do you think that Dark is then?

[size=7px]Notice that I only say what I believe...[/size]
    "What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence."

10th dimension

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy

Slightly related is this, I found yesterday. Very interresting:
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oRWwI61so5Q"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oRWwI61so5Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    Peregrinus, expectavi pedes meos in cymbalis
    Nullus norvegicorum sole urinat

10th dimension

@Angelo, it was a play on words, a joke :lol: If nothing is faster than light, then... Nothing must be quite quick (where nothing has been converted into something for the context of this joke, Read some Terry Pratchett, you'll understand )

Darkness is a wholly human invention.. It is a term created to describe the relative absence of light, something which can mean a little or very dark..

Objects are either illuminated or not. Light is energy and it reacts with objects on it's journey.. sometimes being converted into other forms of energy in the reaction, othertimes being reflected away on a different journey.. never destroyed, always converted at some point.

To say that darkness = nothing is inaccurate..
    Darkness can exist even if there is light if the material the light interracts with absorbs all of the energy and converts it into other forms of energy.. no light would be reflected therefore, you wouldn't see anything.. there would be darkness... however, it is certainly not nothing.

Nothing is the absence of things. Void. Space. Space just happens to be dark because there's not a lot for light to interract with.

But darkness is not space and darkness is not nothing

What a load of waffle about nothing eh? :lol:

10th dimension

Quote Originally Posted by jasonf
    @Angelo, it was a play on words, a joke :lol: If nothing is faster than light, then... Nothing must be quite quick (where nothing has been converted into something for the context of this joke, Read some Terry Pratchett, you'll understand )

Darkness is a wholly human invention.. It is a term created to describe the relative absence of light, something which can mean a little or very dark..

Objects are either illuminated or not. Light is energy and it reacts with objects on it's journey.. sometimes being converted into other forms of energy in the reaction, othertimes being reflected away on a different journey.. never destroyed, always converted at some point.

To say that darkness = nothing is inaccurate..
    Darkness can exist even if there is light if the material the light interracts with absorbs all of the energy and converts it into other forms of energy.. no light would be reflected therefore, you wouldn't see anything.. there would be darkness... however, it is certainly not nothing.

Nothing is the absence of things. Void. Space. Space just happens to be dark because there's not a lot for light to interract with.

But darkness is not space and darkness is not nothing

What a load of waffle about nothing eh? :lol:

Hmmmm... should I? Ah might as well...

Space. Coffee. Computers. Trees. The Earth. Pluto. Stars. Anything and Everything. It's ALL a human invention. Nothing could actually be Everything, while Anything could be both. Everything could refer to anything, but not everything, or it could refer to everything, but not certain things. Anything could refer to itself, coffee, space, etc. It could also be a word with no meaning. But thats the key: 'a word with no meaning'. Whatever it is we do, its human invention. ANYTHING. If we can communicate about it, its a human invention. Why? Because think of it this way:

"Hey, look at that transport truck!"

Now, forget what what you were taught about in school on the words 'transport' and 'truck'. If you learned about these words in the dictionary, or elsewhere, just imagine you were never taught them...

"Hey, look at that transport truck!"
    "what? whats a... 'transport truck'?"

Now just imagine if the words 'transport' and 'truck' were never invented? Keyword: 'invented'. If you have to be taught something for you to know, its a human invention.

Now technically, thats like the saying, if a tree in the middle of a forest falls, and theres nobody around to hear it, does that mean that there was no sound? Well, no. But if something is being referred to using a specific word, meant to mean a certain thing, like 'darkness' or 'nothing'... It could mean anything. The word 'nothing' itself isn't referring to anything, and doesn't really mean 'nothing' as we know it, it's referring to the lack of something, which is SOMETHING. So as long as we refer to 'nothing', we are saying that the only thing there is the lack of something. Example:

Normally, there are 2 apples on your kitchen table, at all times. You wake up, and say, 'Wow! Theres nothing on my table!' But in truth, the thing that IS on your table, is the lack of apples.

Now say you woke up an saw 30 apples instead of 2.
    'Wow! Look at everything!'
    Your not referring to everything, your referring to the 28 excess apples that normally aren't there.

So if nothing means the lack of something, and everything means the excess of something, since nothing is also black, and everything is any color, does that not mean space is also nothing and everything at the same time? Because in some areas of space, there is NOTHING, but in others, there is EVERYTHING, because normally in space, there is nothing, but suddenly we run into planets and stars?
    --MagicRPG--

10th dimension

Well, that proves it... Darkness cannot be nothing as he's a member of our forum ;-) Unless he was the only member in which case, darkness would be everything.

And to settle another issue... Darkness mate, how fast can you run? :lol:

It's all relative language... and it's fun to play on words.

The things about "If a tree falls in the forest and there's no-one there to hear it, does it make a sound?", it's an old philisophical question designed to stimulate thoughts about the difference between the physical and the percieved world.

The act of falling and subsequent impact of the tree with the flora and fauna of the forest floor would cause vibrations which when observed by an appropriate intelligence would be classed as sound.. but if there's no-one there who knows the word "Sound" or understands the concept of "Sound" then it goes unobserved.. merely vibrations of particles caused by energy being transferred between physical bodies.

Sound like most other things are tools devised by humans to describe the world around us. I think the trouble is that we only have these tools and find it difficult to see beyond them.. hence the difficulty for most people in imagining beyond a 4th dimention..

I think anyone who can truly understand a 10th dimention is a smart cookie indeed.

10th dimension

I also think its a matter between philosohpical theory and scientific aswell...

I think anyone who can truly understand a 10th dimention is a smart cookie indeed.
    I believe in the myth that everyone has his own talent...
    &quot;What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence.&quot;

10th dimension

Hmmmm. Regarding the tree falling when nobody hears it: we must merely apply simple logic.

First: if a tree falls -- even if we know it or not -- it simply occurs. Of course we don't know for we haven't been present to notice it, but that is irrelevant: what is relevant is the fact that we logically state "If it falls, it falls, regardless of our observations," and this statement is correct.

Second: what is sound? It is low/middle/high frequencies travelling through air and matter and does indeed occur regardless of our presence and our hearing perception. Short: a human entity is not on-site to detect the falling tree's sound, but nevertheless the sound did exist for the valid duration.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234