Thread: Need guidance on RTS game project

Need guidance on RTS game project

Hi,

I am looking for an RTS (Real Time Strategy) or RPS (Role Playing Strategy) 3D graphics/game engine.

Essentially I looking for an 3D engine that has:
    - Large map/scene rendering
    - Character animation with crowd rendering
    - GUI
    - Audio
    - Client-Server networking
    - Blender3D/COLLADA import capability

The engine should preferably compile on FreePascal and support OpenGL and OpenAL. I'll be doing my development on a Mac with the intention to deploy on Linux and Windows.

Any guidance on achieving the above on FreePascal if there aren't any available solutions?

Do you also have have any good reference materials on RTS/RPS game development that may help me in my quest?

Thanks,
    -Ad
    "Go .com yourself! >:-P".-Ad

Wow, that's a lot of features, and I'm not aware of any 3D RTS/RPG engines written with Pascal and also open sourced. The Siege of Avalon engine is pure 2D isometric, and the parts I have ported to JEDI-SDL, compiles with FreePascal and runs on Win32 and Linux, so presumably it should also compile and run on MacOS X as well.

That's the only thing that could potentially come ( not very ) close to what you want. Other than that I suggest reading books like
    Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX by Jim Adams ( get the second edition ) and if you search Amazon you should find some books on RTS game development as well. Then get out there and write a kick-arse game!
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

adkiller: I'm developing an engine with the most features you require. I plan to release it till autumn.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage
    adkiller: I'm developing an engine with the most features you require. I plan to release it till autumn.
    Way to go Mirage!!!
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Blog Entries

Hey all this sounds good to me guys. It'll be nice to have a notable RTS game out there under the Pascal dev wing.

If there is a demand for it, do you think that you will release your engine as either open source or for licensing?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Open source. There is no large enough market yet for commercial engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage
    What are the features that we would need to implement?

-ad
    "Go .com yourself! >:-P".-Ad

adkiller:
    1. The engine is multi API. At the moment only DirectX 8.1 renderer implemented. OpenGL 2.0 renderer is planned after the public release. Actually there is a simple OpenGL implementation, but it's very basic.
    2. The same thing with audio. Currently - simple abstract interface and its DirectSound implementation
    3. Network module provides an abstract interface and its implementation via DirectPlay.
    4. Blender3D/COLLADA import - I hope other people will do such things like import from various applications/format.