Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Large Texture files

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Large Texture files

Tiles look like the best option to me; storing textures larger than the display in video memory is a terrible waste of video memory to me (2048*204=16MB, as you don't need to show the full texture at all.

Now if 16MB is the price to solve the problem, let's pay for it, but it isn't as you won't be able to scale up to larger maps. Tiling allows you to scale easily to maps, and is therefore well worth the effort.

Large Texture files

Quote Originally Posted by technomage
    Hey WILL

You are using Opengl Right? In which case texture size has no bearing on the size of your world.

You could render a 2500x 1250 quad on the screen if you wanted and just put a 512x64 texture on it. It wouldn't look nice but you get the idea.

Scale your texture to a power of 2 (rememder the width and height don't have to be the same, just power of 2 so 512x64 is OK as is 1024x512 or 1024x8 etc). An just render your world the normal size.

I may have got the wrong idea, but I would make my world size not dependant on the size of my textures.

Dean
    Oh my god, you were right! Changed my texture loader to calculate power of 2 separately width and height and works well. So 1024x512 does work. However textures like 1000x1000 will just return error and white texture. My card is Radeon 9200.

1250 is closer to 1024 in my opinion, detail loss isn't that great. At least if you plan to show more and more detailed graphics when zoomed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12