Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

Im lost....

There are to many 2d/3d game libs

Im interested in one very simply(2d), fast, windowed, no external dlls, one bmp drawning onto the screen

sorry my bad english
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

Then you would be better off setting your

doublebuffered:=true;

for your form. I had the same problem with my Slot Machine. I was drawing a number of bitmaps one after the other (15 of them) and would get flicker at various times. When I set the doublebuffered property to true it got much better.

Also, do not use the .update or .repaint to force your bitmap to repaint. You should use the mybitmap.invalidate. My understanding is that it causes only portions of the control which have changed to be repainted rather than the entire control.

I am sure others will have better advice, but this is what has worked for me.

Craig
    Who is this "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard disk?
    <br />
    <br /><A href="http://ps.craigedgar.com" target="_blank">Picture Slots - A Unique Slot Machine! Create your own Reels using your own Digital Photographs.</A>

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

I forgot to mention - why 60 times a second? If it is animation you want, remember that movies are between 24 and 30 frames per second.

Craig
    Who is this &quot;General Failure&quot; and why is he reading my hard disk?
    <br />
    <br /><A href="http://ps.craigedgar.com" target="_blank">Picture Slots - A Unique Slot Machine! Create your own Reels using your own Digital Photographs.</A>

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

I Need a 2d lib, im currently using the delphiform =/
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

The reason there are so many different technologies available for apparently the same thing is Evolution. As time has moved on, people have found limitations in a particular library frustrating, so they've taken it upon themselves to write a new & improved system.. The new libraries worked for a lot of new projects... then someone finds a new library's limitations frustrating and therefore write a new one.. and so it goes on.. in the meantime, some people like the older libraries and continue to use them, so they remain in the public domain, used, supported and talked about... extended, and so it goes on.

For a simple 2D (windows only) game, personally I would use DelphiX because I've used it before and it's a piece of cake to get into. I've not tried any of the alternatives, but I'm glad they exist because it would be a sad day for Pascal game Development if the only 2D library available was DelphiX, it has too many limitations (Windows Only for a start), but from the sounds of things, it's perfect for what you want to do.

My current project needed to be cross platform, DelphiX couldn't support that so I wrote my own. My engine is nowhere near as easy to use as DelphiX, but then it didn't need to be.

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

I would just like to add a comment about doublebuffered := true; While this may solve the problem it's terrible slow. If you were to use standard Delphi GDI I would recomend drawing on one bitmap and flip it onto an other bitmap.

But I would advise you to use something like (Un)DelphiX if you're a beginner.
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

Blog Entries

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

You know I can see how having so many options just when you are getting started can seem a bit tricky to get started.

It wasn't always like this though. Around 2000-2002 all we had was a DirectX library called DelphiX and Free Pascal was nowhere near where it is today. So it's really not such a bad thing to be where we are as a community.

However, it does bring new problems like yours; "Where on earth do I start?!"

We are getting a lot of that now from newcomers to PGD and the community so I think it's about time we put up some nice little clear and descriptive arrows for the new folks.

I've been polishing my Pascal Compilers guide lately and have also thought of making up a Library guide too. After reading your thread, I've decided to complete both and post them on the front page of the site for all visitors and new member's convenience. Keep an eye out for a new thread about it in the forums.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

Im not a total new to gamedev i already used delphix but it was in the begin.

But today i have tested unDelphiX and im very disapointed

8 is the Code
    [pascal]
    if dxdraw.CanDraw then
    begin
    dxdraw.Surface.Canvas.Draw(0,0,boardbuffer);
    dxdraw.Surface.Canvas.Release;
    dxdraw.Flip;
    end;
    [/pascal]

9 is the Code
    [pascal]
    buffer.Canvas.Draw(8, 51, boardbuffer);
    Canvas.Draw(0, 0, buffer);
    [/pascal]

Muchhh, Muchhh more fast =/, lower mem usage, low exe size
    The form is vry simple, not suitable for games, but im my case i think is the right choice.

Coments ?

Sorry my bad english ops:
    im from brazil
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    You know I can see how having so many options just when you are getting started can seem a bit tricky to get started.

It wasn't always like this though. Around 2000-2002 all we had was a DirectX library called DelphiX and Free Pascal was nowhere near where it is today. So it's really not such a bad thing to be where we are as a community.

However, it does bring new problems like yours; "Where on earth do I start?!"

We are getting a lot of that now from newcomers to PGD and the community so I think it's about time we put up some nice little clear and descriptive arrows for the new folks.

I've been polishing my Pascal Compilers guide lately and have also thought of making up a Library guide too. After reading your thread, I've decided to complete both and post them on the front page of the site for all visitors and new member's convenience. Keep an eye out for a new thread about it in the forums.
    ohh thx it will be Awesome
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

Quote Originally Posted by arthurprs
    Coments ?
    Yes, 3 infact.

1, try to reduce your screenshot size. I´ve modified your post so it will fit better and not mess up the forum layout. People can still click on the screenshot if they want to see the whole thing.

2. I think you should elaborate on your post. I'm not sure if its me, but I haven't got a clue what it is you're trying to say here.

3. Related to 2 as I'm unsure what you want to tell us with the code, but iirc, surface.canvas should not be used unless you want to use texts, lines or other shapes. For everything else use surface.draw or even surface.blitDraw.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast