Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unDelphiX 1.07f released now

unDelphiX 1.07f released now

Hello all!

(un)DelphiX 1.07f released now and can be downloaded from http://www.micrel.cz/Dx.

News:
    1/ Installation program (copy files and install into IDE Delphi 3,4,5,6,7,2005,2006,2007).
    2/ Two tools - PNG2DIB (accept alphachannel) and GIF2DIB (accept animation) as utilities.
    3/ Fix bug code texture with alphachannel for serious using.
    4/ Support Delphi 2007.
    5/ Better compatibility with Windows Vista.

Regards
    Ijcro.

Blog Entries

Jaro!!! You made me have to update the Game Library Guide. :shock:

:lol: Actually, good timing! And very nice work too. I'll be adding this info to the guide.

How Vista compatible is DelphiX now? Fully or is there a few things that cause issues with the combination?

Glad to hear about the installer. A long-time missing feature from the new DelphiX line.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Thank you.
    Vista does not support retained mode, hence all loaded and unloaded RM functions from DLL was disabled by compiler directive now.
    Installer was not tested under Windows 98/ME (I haven't got it) and maybe problems when is Delphi installed incorrectly or non standard like directory name for "Delphi3" across "Delphi 3". But installer has auto-download for newest version .
    Best Regards
    Ijcro.

Whoohoo! nice to hear that
    i'll test delphi 5 version on win98 soon.
    Will: "Before you learn how to cook a fish you must first learn how to catch a fish." coolest

oh! that a good news guys..hey ijcro can u post an exemple about AlphaBlending mask??

Be honest with you, I am really hoping that one day png/alpha channel support is possible or better transparency. My game looks pretty dismal in that dept, but I am greateful for any updates.

I am sorry but in my opinion DelphiX is past its used by date. The original DelphiX still has a benefit if you need to work with old hardware but if you want to do DirectX 9.0 stuff then there are libraries out there that leave delphiX in the dust in regards to speed and other visual options.

Flogging a dead horse springs to mind

No offense intended.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Blog Entries

Not at all czar. In fact you are right from an experienced programmer's perspective. DelphiX is a very old component library carried over all these years. But it does have some merit for a 'new to game programming' stance.

To get to the point that you and I and the rest of those more experienced here are at, we had to learn the Pascal language and basic programming concepts, OOP, graphics APIs and graphics hardware concepts, basic game design concepts and several years of learning what works, what doesn't work and which is best for us individually. Thats quite a bit to swallow for a new guy.

I think to use a library like DelphiX to it's fullest would be for the newcomers just starting out. The community at large has matured as a whole so it's no longer the most popular of libraries, but it still has it uses.

In fact I was going to suggest that we start porting it over to Lazarus to take advantage of some of the recent developments that IDE has brought about more recently. It obviously would only be useful on the Windows version, but still. Free IDE, free library = free development setup to learn before you move on to the bigger/better stuff.

Hence why Dom and I are so adamant about keeping the DelphiX flame alive here on PGD. It's a part of our history as a whole, but it can also help others get into our community as well.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I just think froma basic point of view the only 2 things missing are force feedback and alpha channels /transparency support.

I would be happy with those 2 added. Ok so it is gonna be basic games but I have had a lot of fun with delphix and for beginners it is a great starting point, me being one of them.

I never would have made a game without it or even expanded my knowledge of programming. So, I wouldnt say it is in the dust and worthless at all

No one said DelphiX is worthless. But it has had its time and I don't think learning to Delphix is easier than learning some of the other libraries.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast