Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fixing stubborn FOR loops

fixing stubborn FOR loops

I've got a for loop that goes "for i := 0 to arrayProperty.count - 1 do", and it's supposed to only run if there's at least one unit in the array property being counted. (If the array's size is 0, then the expression evaluates to -1, which is less than 0, and so the for loop should never enter the first iteration.) I know this is supposed to work, because I've done it in the past. But for some reason, now all of a sudden it's entering the first loop no matter what, and sometimes trying to access item [0] of an array that doesn't contain anything.
    I figure one of the settings must have come loose somewhere. How do I fix it so it'll behave correctly and not enter the loop the first time unless the condition evaluates true?

Mason

Code:
    if arrayProperty.count > 0 then
      for i := 0 to arrayProperty.count - 1 do

Yeah, that's the obvious workaround, but how do I get it to evaluate at the top of the loop in the first place?

Mason

Blog Entries

You don't. At least you shouldn't anyway.

One of the truths of dealing with 0-based arrays.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

re

"for i := 0 to arrayProperty.count - 1 do",
    you should debug printing on screen what value is "i" geting the first time interaction,

I think "i' have to be signed so it can get -1 value; if it is defined as unsigned type (word, byte, longword, etc) then you will get a problem.

"arrayProperty.count - 1" should return -1 when arrayProperty.count = 0 if this is not returning a signed type then you are having a problem;

Oh! That's the problem, all right. My i was a word. So it was probably evaluating -1 as MAXINT16 -1, (or whatever it's called,) which is a big positive number.

Thanks!

Mason

Re: fixing stubborn FOR loops

Quote Originally Posted by masonwheeler
    I've got a for loop that goes "for i := 0 to arrayProperty.count - 1 do", and it's supposed to only run if there's at least one unit in the array property being counted. (If the array's size is 0, then the expression evaluates to -1, which is less than 0, and so the for loop should never enter the first iteration.) I know this is supposed to work, because I've done it in the past. But for some reason, now all of a sudden it's entering the first loop no matter what, and sometimes trying to access item [0] of an array that doesn't contain anything.
    I figure one of the settings must have come loose somewhere. How do I fix it so it'll behave correctly and not enter the loop the first time unless the condition evaluates true?
    IMHO this is an internal error of Delphi 7 compiler (it hasn't occured to me after I moved away from Delphi 7). Usually changing the code somewhere else, moving some parts, etc., exiting Delphi and running it again, then rebuilding the application fixes the problem.

Also make sure you don't overwrite memory in your application as this may trigger weird things to happen like "initialization" code in your unit not being executed, etc.

I'm using BDS 2006. And Tpascal had the solution. But thanks for trying to help.

Mason

how about for i:= low() to high() do begin..??
    This is my game project - Top Down City:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...y-Topic-Reboot

My OpenAL audio wrapper with Intelligent Source Manager to use unlimited:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...source+manager

2 reasons. 1, efficiency. No need to waste cycles on low() when I know it's a zero-based array. 2, I'm not sure what would happen if I tried that on an empty array property.

Mason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast