Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: basic 2D

basic 2D

first of all thank you wodzu for the as dx said chunk of coading i am wondering though can you use instead of left+5 right+5 or up+5

what is the phoenix library and for that matter whats a library

thank you pstudio for the link to delphigamedev, delphi.about.com
    i plan on getting Lazarus

were can i find a library ...whatever it is and WILL i plan on making a little character to run around as my first real project and then i want to recreate an old game from a site called chaotic gaming were this little dude is tryin to catch your mouse and he can throw thins and swing a pole at it ...its a really fun game

with this information you all have gaven me i should be able to start learning a little bit better
    thank you

Blog Entries

basic 2D

A library is kind of like an add-on to your existing project's code. It contains; functions, variables, constants, etc that you can use yourself in your main program.

I'd first look in the Library section [size=9px](from the site header menu)[/size] under General Programming for material on the basics of the Pascal language first before you get too far into trying to do other things. Once you have the basics of programming down, things will seem a little clearer to you.

You can work with Lazarus to make some basic programs to learn the language and get a idea of how it all works.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

basic 2D

what is the phoenix library and for that matter whats a library
    A library is basically a collection of procedures, functions, objects etc. that brings some functionality to your project. A library will usally focus on one thing like fo instance graphics, math, or whatever.
    The Phoenix library is a library that will make it easy for you to make 2D-games. It uses OpenGL as a rendering platform and is capable of doing many things you'll need in a 2D-game. The advantage is, that while it is possible for you to set up OpenGL on your own and do all the tedious rendering, it takes time and is wasted energy. Phoenix will do this for you in a snap and much more. It renders text for you, which is not as easy as it may sound, it has a spriteengine which does collisionchecking for you, it has a particle system and lot more. Basically Phoenix remove the "boring" work and let you focus on writing the game.
    That's what an library is all about. Make the boring work fast and let you focus on the interesting stuff.
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

basic 2D

Alex Rosendal has some great tutorials out on his site:
    http://www.gameprogrammer.net/index....tutorials.list

these, along with those at delphigamedev, will give a good start.

and delphi.about.com is absolutely great!

good luck!

basic 2D

sorry if it aint related to the post but how do i change the name of components of tbutton and how do i make timage display an image in lazarus

Blog Entries

basic 2D

You're right it isn't. If you want to change topics please start a new thread. It doesn't cost anything.

Honest! Totally free of charge!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

basic 2D

ite lol i figured it out anyway so sombody close this thread

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12