Howdy gang,

I'm new here and have had an idea for a game for a while now. I am a Delphi 5 programmer with experience writing business like applications, but very limited experience in the game arena.

I'd like to toss some ideas out there and see what your collective thoughts are on the best way for me to go about making this happen.

Myself and my friends, play several table top games.. Games such as Warhammer/Warhammer 40k.. etc.. They deal with a lot of little miniatures and gobs of rules governing their actions on a big 4x8 table.

I would like to try to make a 3D engine that will allow players to play a similar type game on the computer.
Each model has stats and point costs etc., players take turns making their "army" do their bidding.. The games are very strategic.

This isn't a first person shooter style game at all, but rather a turn based strategy style game in which everything is decided on dice (or random computer) rolls. (Thus 3D collision detection is not needed..)

The thing is, I'm not really sure where to begin.. I understand 3D graphics as I am a Lightwave user (and having been for years) so I can make the 3D models. But the main crux of the game engine eludes me..

I have played with GLScene a bit in the past and understand it's basics but really not how to build an engine around the GLScene engine.

Where should I start?

Luckily, I have all of the games rules already printed out in a nice big fat manual already edited and everything, so I don't have to come up with that..

Thoughts?

Thanks