Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Real Relief

Real Relief

http://www.sibvrv.com/

Real Relief simple not optimized but work
    Works fine on nVidia Geforce MX 440 and above.

Keys:
    WASD - Movements,
    F - FlashLight,
    lesft mouse button and drag - Turn camera

any coments are welcome

Real Relief

While it was choppy at best, it ran fine on my POS system. Specs as follows:

Dell INSPIRON 4100
    PIII 1Ghz
    ATI Mobility video card (no shader support)
    768Mb ram

As I said, it was choppy but at least it ran .

Real Relief

That sure is looking really nice!

Welcome to PGD btw

Real Relief

I've been excited by the prospect of this technique since I saw Doom3 running with relief mapping enabled.. very cool.

This was done using Pascal and OpenGL?

After playing with your textures a little, I'm of the conclusion that *This* is the future of high detail meshes. As soon as common or garden graphics cards can handle it that is ;-)

Real Relief

Hi Roman,
    great to see you found the time to post on here. The screen shot looks very sweet indeed.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Real Relief

That looks great

I noticed two things while moving through the enviroment:

> Somehow the camera control with the mouse works annoying.
    If i want to turn my camera, my mouse cannot go further to the left/right.
    I should make it more sensitive.

> The occlusion culling system has some glitches. When i walked into a "dead end" and managed to look back, i saw a large black gap just around the corner. You should take a look at this.

But i do like the bumpmapping very much.

It works on my system:

Vista Ultimate
    AMD 64X2 5400+
    2Gig RAM
    Geforce 8600GT

Good luck. Hope to see more of this.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Real Relief

The effect is nice looking, but I think it provides a little too much depth to things like the rocks. About half that is more realistic, as I've never seen a rock wall that juts that much. I have seen several rock walls that have half that much variance though, and the bricks are a little too far out as well. Other than the subtle things, the overall algorithm makes a nice effect.

Slightly choppy, but a workable 74FPS on:
    AMD 4800+ X2 64
    XFX 8600GTS 256MB
    2GB 6400 G.SKILL RAM

Chronzo, the mouse does a click-turn, click-stay style manner of looking. So click and look, then click and recenter your mouse. A little tedious, yes, but better than nothing.

Real Relief

for chronozphere
    The occlusion culling system has some glitches. When i walked into a "dead end" and managed to look back, i saw a large black gap just around the corner. You should take a look at this.
    yes i know about it i dont have free time to finish it. this is simple maze culling

for savage
    Hi Dominique, iam back to my city ~1 sept i dont have normal network here to post my version of quake to delphi... i have added Half life maps and some effects

for jasonf
    This was done using Pascal and OpenGL?
    Yes YEs Yes only pascal but with asm

Real Relief

for Robert Kosek,
    i only show the way to render real relief on very slow GPU without any of shaders and bump mapping. i have created this demo on my very slow computer :
    Intel (32 bit) 1 Ghz 512 Mb Ram
    nVidia Gf MX 440

and on my video board the FPS is 13-20.
    and i have tested it on this machine in VMwave ~ 2 FPS

with video board GFfx 6600 > 250fps...

may be VSync is enabled on your board ?

Real Relief

Would it be difficult to apply a masked reflection map to a relief mapped surface?...

That would be amazing... Imagine, a texture with metal pipes on a brick wall, some parts of the bricks are wet because of leaky pipes.. the pipes are mostly shiny but near to the joints they're corroded. All of this with 2 polygons, 3 textures, 1 environment map (if not calculated at runtime) and a load of processing and if done well, almost photo realistic levels.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast