Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Real Relief

Real Relief

Quote Originally Posted by jasonf
    so why on earth would we want to write another one?... :lol:
    answer : try to load and edit Doom 3 map in Doom 1 map editor

Real Relief

Ah, yes.. Doom1 editors cannot create Doom3 maps.. this is a fact. Completely different technologies.

So are you implying that your game requires maps which use a different technology to those generated by the common editors, before you only wanted quake maps.

If, as you mentioned before, you're interested in using Quake style maps, then the hard work has already been done in the form of an existing editor.

They ALL support the .map format, which is a published standard so any game could, in theory, use these editors to create their CSG geometry.

Unless there is a real need to create another editor from scratch, unless the engine is truly revolutionary and the current offerings of tools are just not up to scratch or hold you back, I would strongly advise against the wheel reinvention route.

However saying that, if attempting to use an existing tool is slowing you down and it would save more time to just write a new editor, then it should be done.

I've seen too many half baked, half finished mesh editors while I was working with Torque and the community there wanted to create yet another milkshape (only free.. as if the $30 was too expensive), the developers lost momentum, or didn't get the support they expected from the community.. because the existing apps offered more tools or had fewer bugs.

The very smart guys at garagegames took 2 years to make constructor.. using a technology they know well and a language they are experts in.

Passion is one thing, reality is something else.

edit: I've just re-read this and I sound like a bit of an arse.. it's not my intention to sound critical. ops:

If your engine can support quake style bsp's then (via the .map import) then I'm sure people can quickly create level data for you.. It's also a toolset which people know well and can be productive in quickly.

Real Relief

New demo is coming very soon

I dont have time to make very best design and very big level with lots of detalies...(may be very good designers can help)

This map is created as tempory only for testing how does my engine work with all maps created in Quark.... the engine is work fine. Now i optimizing it and making minimum physics.

for jasonf : This map created in quark and saved as ".map" file

Real Relief

Quote Originally Posted by jasonf
    I've seen too many half baked, half finished mesh editors while I was working with Torque and the community there wanted to create yet another milkshape (only free.. as if the $30 was too expensive), the developers lost momentum, or didn't get the support they expected from the community.. because the existing apps offered more tools or had fewer bugs.
    About Milkshape in 2003 year i have started my project Dreams 3D Model Editor it is contain all functions like in Milkshape and 3D Studio Max and Radiant Quake Editor... And it can load levels from Doom 3 / Quak 4, also can open many file formats... about milkshape import/export plugins if you have it - my model editor load.. but i dont have time to make site for it. may be in the next month i finish the site for model editor.

Real Relief

I am eagerly anticipating another demo in which I can load a .map file. (where's the icon for jumping around? )

I'd like to see what sort of realism this effect can generate when mixed with standard csg.

You're making an full featured editor too? Are you like, the Coding Terminator or something? :cylon:

Real Relief

On a slightly different note, I've installed Constructor and had a quick play with it... OOOooohhh it's lovely :lol: . At first glance, it beats all other csg editors I've used into a quivering pulp.

I reckon I'll be able to make a nice enough looking level.

I'll need a copy of your program though (compiled is fine) which allows me to specify a filename.
    I'll also need textures.

I'll also need sprite sizes.. no point making doors if the player can't fit through them

Real Relief

If I understand this technique correctly it is like height maps but for walls right?

Now the other great thing about Real Relief is that at run-time if a rocket hits the wall, you should be able to make it look like a real chunk of wall was taken out. Or if you skin a character using it, you should be able to virtually show body parts caving in when hit by missles.

Couple that with some physics and collapsable buildings and it should be a very sweet experience for the gamer.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Real Relief

I wonder what this would be like animated...

Imagine a solder model, as the solder walks into the water, his uniform gets wet and the creases are sharper and more hugging. As they dry off, the uniform begins to flow more freely.

Or, you give the player a crowbar.. previously in games like halflife, although you could hit the walls with the crowbar, you couldn't actually damage them.. bullet holes were just decals on the very solid wall..

Now imagine that the crowbar could make indentations in the wall, the concept of a decal relief map could be born.. bullets actually make indentations in the wall which can be seen from an angle. The crowbar could take chunks of plaster off the wall. There are lots of things you could do with this effect.

A texture in an adventure game of a pebbled stream.. currently, this effect would take a lot of polyons to acheive, but using relief mapping, the stones on the bottom of the stream would literally stick out.

Imagine a RTS game where tanks leaf actual indentations in the ground where they've been driving.. churning up the mud as they go..

A 4x4 off road game with real mud...

A ray gun fired at a metal door.. not only does it start to glow, but bubble too..

Rivets in metal hulls of submarines,

ridges and bumps on alien bodies..

Realistic egyptian tombs, with realistic sandstone.

Real Relief

Roman, is there any chance that you could explain the technique you are using further or are you keeping it a secret until you release a commercial game with it?
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast