Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crashblock

Blog Entries

Crashblock

I personally love my MadCatz game pad. Pretty nice quality and comfortable hold. It's styled exactly like the X-Box controller so as long as you don't prefer the Playstation style controllers it should be alright. There are both Wireless and USB(cord) models.

You are using SDL for input, correct? I can pass you my own input unit that you can take from if you want to give the option of customizable controls. In reality I think this might hurt you to leave them out as joysticks can really vary in what they have.

[size=9px]ie. X-Box style would have like 6 axis (last 2 which are used like triggers) and 8 buttons with only 1 hat. Where as PS1-3 would have (I think) 1 hat, 4 axis and 10 buttons. I'm not too sure about the Analog button or the vibrate features. They two also obviously differ in thumb placement of primary directional controls AND if it's a hat or a analog stick in the most comfortable spot.[/size]

The biggest concern is that not all the buttons are ordered the same so you might be completely changing gameplay for different controllers.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Crashblock

My input handler is fairly comprehensive but it doesn't support definable controls and I won't have time to implement and test with the other stuff I have to do too before the IGF deadline.. which is approaching rapidly. I agree hoever that it is important for a shareware game.

I've got a few things left to do with presentation, these things seem to take SO much time! Today just vanished while I worked, fixing up the sound and music menus, implementing the joystick stuff and fixing the odd bug, the day had gone. So either I code at a glacial pace or the frilly stuff around the edges of the game takes more time than the game itself.

I wouldn't mind taking a peek at your input controller though, it never hurts to see how someone else is solving similar problems.

Blog Entries

Crashblock

No problem I'll PM you with a copy of it. I'm the type of coder that likes to keep things simple so you may find it rather easy to mimic what I do.

Also I use a small data file format that contains the keys/joystick buttons and their alternates. And I use a tiny tool that generates them for default distributable files. So all you would need to do is copy over my save/load routines if you had an easy way to integrate with my input type structures.

The part that might take you longer would probably be the in-game configuration menu.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries

Crashblock

Crash Block got a review on Bytten not to long ago. It didn't do too bad either with a 70% score.

Bytten's Crash Block Review
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12