Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering GP2X version Crashblock

Considering GP2X version Crashblock

Well I blame you guys for making me preorder the new GP2X now. Reading this thread reminded me off how interested I was in buying this machine a year ago. Now I done it, so I hope your satisfied. I just spend 160+ £

Well, if you suceed Jason to convert this to GP2X I might as well buy it to.
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

I've always been a strong advocate of open solutions, like the GP2X. It would make my year to have a working version of my game running well on this lovely piece of kit. I'll be putting my order in for the new version very soon as soon as I get something tangable working on it. If I can't get Crashblock working, I'll sure as hell get something working

Blog Entries

Well if you guys can build up a large enough resource pool for those interested in like-projects ports like this will be a lot easier to do in the future.

I'm also wondering why the directional buttons are mapped to a 'hat' instead of being individual 'buttons'. Reading into a pair of axis wouldn't make much sense unless it is analog, which doesn't look like the case -seems to be a simple set of 4 push buttons.

Of course like Jason says, if it's the way the hardware is wired thats a different matter.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by jasonf
    I'm really excited about the touch screen too, it's perfect for Crashblock's new menu system. As long as it behaves like a mouse and SDL receives a mouse move event followed by a mouse click event, then I won't have to change any code at all..
    I hear that the touch screen stylus will behave like a mouse so I believe it won't be an issue (or much of one).

I managed to get your example code to compile and run on the GP2X last night (no skill required to run a batch file after setting up the environment eh? )
    I'm glad

I noticed that your example project contains your modified SDL files, are these changes to the JEDI headers going to be incorporated into the current JEDI?
    I have used as much as possible the latest SDL files from

http://jedi-sdl.cvs.sourceforge.net/.../JEDI-SDLv1.0/

I noticed also that all of the controls are buttons.. does this mean that the GP2X joystick is just 4 buttons or is this just how things have been implemented? I mean, I don't really care either way, I treat joystick directions as digital events at the moment, but if I wanted to make a game where how hard or how far you press the joystick influences turning speed or something like that, is that possible in your knowledge/opinion?
    The GP2X joystick just uses 8 direction 'button'values that you can check for (see values below from the SDL.pas file)

Code:
    SDLK_GP2X_UP = 0;
    {$EXTERNALSYM SDLK_GP2X_UP}
    SDLK_GP2X_UPLEFT = 1;
    {$EXTERNALSYM SDLK_GP2X_UPLEFT}
    SDLK_GP2X_LEFT = 2;
    {$EXTERNALSYM SDLK_GP2X_LEFT}
    SDLK_GP2X_DOWNLEFT = 3;
    {$EXTERNALSYM SDLK_GP2X_DOWNLEFT}
    SDLK_GP2X_DOWN = 4;
    {$EXTERNALSYM SDLK_GP2X_DOWN}
    SDLK_GP2X_DOWNRIGHT = 5;
    {$EXTERNALSYM SDLK_GP2X_DOWNRIGHT}
    SDLK_GP2X_RIGHT = 6;
    {$EXTERNALSYM SDLK_GP2X_RIGHT}
    SDLK_GP2X_UPRIGHT = 7;
    {$EXTERNALSYM SDLK_GP2X_UPRIGHT}
    This means you only have on or off, not how hard, etc.

I'm not using OpenGL, I've kept everything using native SDL calls though the JEDI-SDL headers. I feel this offers the highest compatibility and future proofing..
    Good idea :-)

Is the problem with SDL_Mixer an issue with FreePascal or the C-compiled SDL_Mixer.so file? (does the GP2X use .so files?)
    There seems to be less problems using SDL_Mixer and a C/C++ compiler to create the GP2X programs compared with freepascal.

I'm all questions aren't I? :lol: but it's all for a good cause, the more I can understand about this and the things which need to be done, the faster I can get something working on it.
    I know what you mean

I'm not a big fan of fettling though, I like to just compile stuff and it works so any advances which can be made on the mixer/png/ogg front would be brilliant.
    I don't know what fettling means, but I agree about the compile and go bit

Then, we'll have another commercial game for the GP2X

Here's a taster (faked of course)

haha, cute! :-)

I will keep you updated about the PNG and SDL_Mixer issues - I also want to get these working

cheers,
    Paul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12