Hi Jason :-)

It is really cool that you are thinking of trying to port your game to the GP2X!

I know that the console can do rescaling if it is set up correctly, but I can't recall if it is when playing movies for example scaled to the GP2X screen, or when doing TV out.

The hardware registers need to be fiddled with to do this sort of thing I believe.

I have just made my own scaled down graphics to fit the 320x240 mode that get used instead of the NxM resolution used on the PC.

I have some ARM assembly code that I compile into my GP2X programs to allow direct hardware access to the console, but I haven't done anything with this except directly write to the framebuffers instead of using SDL for the output as some tests.

Without using direct hardware control and possibly ARM assembly code as well, the second ARM processor is not used for normal programs.

So there is no automatic load balancing there. I don't know about threads, but I suspect that the same applies there; all on the main ARM processor unless programmed otherwise.

I can use pure JEDI-SDL code to do graphics on the GP2X no worries :-)
I have noticed when trying freepascal 2.0.4 and 2.2.0, using the SDL_Mixer crashes the console for some unknown reason - you may have seen some posts floating around about this.

I can do sounds using .wav files using the standard SDL sound stuff but not with the mixer yet

With freepascal 2.0.4 I had trouble loading PNG images as well...I haven't tried under 2.2.0 yet to see if that is improved. I can load BMP files with no issues though...

I hope this helps a bit.

cheers,
Paul