Thread: vsync and fullscreen

vsync and fullscreen

Googled around and couldnt seem to get an answer:

Why use vsync in fullscreen mode? I don't activate in delphix and it seems to run very smooth in fulscreen mode.

Is this the architecture of vsync/fullscreen? What do you guys do with vsync. Is it wise to leave it off for fullscreen, since I havent noticed any difference between it being on and off in fullscreen (unless it is forced in fullscreen mode?)

Infact does the nature of fullscreen mean it will always update at the refresh rate like vsync?

vsync and fullscreen

I recall that leaving VSinc of causes 'tearing'. That is some kind of flickering caused by an upper half of the screen being updated while the lower half is one frame behind

Its very annoying to play a game with a weird flickering screen, so that's why they invented VSinc.

The fact that your app doesn't suffer from it may have to do with your screen + video-card combination. So experience might be a lot different for other users.

If i were you, i would let the user decide whether to enable it.

Hope this helps
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

vsync and fullscreen

oh i give option but seems in fullscreen vsync is forced? Well with delphix there is no difference on any of the test computers or mine between fullscreen+vsync and fullscreen-vsync

(so I am assuming delphix forced vsync in fullscreen hmm)?

Blog Entries

vsync and fullscreen

The DirectX/Microsoft ethos is that of 'why try to draw to the screen faster than the monitor can refresh?' so I'm sure it's possible to do so, but it will not likely be set to do so by default.

You might even have to have your end users go into their adapter settings and disable forced vsync on the OS level. It's the same as if you were using OpenGL as a matter of fact. So really you'll have to account for the user being able to know the difference or having either option set on their side.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

vsync and fullscreen

i see thanks!

vsync and fullscreen

ok so I disabled vsync in nvidia settings and yes, now I get no vsync in fullscreen, so thats good!

However, how do I disable this without having to go into nvidia control panel? Is there code or API somewhere which will let me do that?

For example, halo manages to do it without having to resort to control panel