Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Horrible portal performance

Blog Entries

Horrible portal performance

It's the code that parses the XML from the other site's RSS feeds. When their site cannot provide a nominal XML data as it expects it doesn't know what to do, hence that error and page breakdown you see.

Not nice, I know, but it requires proper error handling code to take care of this. If you know enough PHP and work with XML before you could fix it. I myself just don't have the time as much as I don't like to see it either.

Leaves you with a few options:

A) remove the external site feeds
    B) fix the error handling code
    C) just remove the one that is less reliable. (most likely the GameDev.com feed)
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Seems that the option A) is best.

Go fix it. It stopped my from visiting the site for a few days. Until i was daring unough to click on the forum button. While you are at try to make the frontpage more lightweight (e.g. loose the scrolling banner.) Have a look on the delphigl.com site.
    http://3das.noeska.com - create adventure games without programming

Since the RSS feeds from other sites were causing problems, I've killed them as we can't have other sites breaking our front page. I don't have the time to introduce some proper error handling to removing it seems the quickest fix.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

As far as I have seen, the culprit was DevMaster.net's sql server: it was down and their rss feed came out malformed
    Get your fpc4gba copy now!
    Get your fpc4nds copy now!

Fantastic! :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Marmin^.Style

Savage, maybe you have commented out too much lines, because some things aren't showed anymore, e.g. the personal box doesn't show the avatar nor the title, or the space for comments on the news shows the comment counter only.
    Get your fpc4gba copy now!
    Get your fpc4nds copy now!

Yes I got carried away with the commenting out. It should be a little better now.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123