Thread: 2d using opengl?

2d using opengl?

With onMines aborted -> finished everything exept network
    I was thinking to start a new project, this one for real :?
    and using opengl for rendering and SDL for input and window

Its easy?
    If yes, where can find good example/tutorials about using opengl and SDL for 2d games
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

2d using opengl?

Wouldn't you save a huge amount of effort by using

Phoenix 2D Game Engine V1.0?

Based on OpenGL, very quick and has been in development for a while. Use that and you can start making cool stuff immediately.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

2d using opengl?

I have to agree with czar. I've been using it for some while now and it's simply great.

2d using opengl?

I have to agree with the other guys. The easiest thing would be to use Phoenix, but if you want to do the hard work yourself then I would say it's relative easy to use OpenGL and SDL combined.

As soon as get a hang of OpenGL it's really easy. The only real tricky thing is to setup OpenGL, but this is done by SDL already
    There are some OpenGL demos with JEDI-SDL (well there used to be, don't know about the latest release). And then there is ofcourse the NeHe tutorials that covers OpenGL. You probably wont have to read more than 5 tutorials or so to be able to make some basic 2D game.
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

2d using opengl?

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    I have to agree with czar. I've been using it for some while now and it's simply great.
    I agree, i have it instaled here, a great lib i have to say,

but i don't need fast results, i like to do as much as i can for my own, onmines resource manager/loader and font engine was built completly by me, i like this way, i learn much more things

pstudio~
    i don't noticed opengl samples, i will take a look,
    i found http://nehe.gamedev.net/ site, very usefull too
    thx for all the info.

Just one more question, is there some other good ways to manage input like SDL ?
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

2d using opengl?

DirectX, but I can't see any reason to use it if you're already using SDL
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

2d using opengl?

Quote Originally Posted by JC_
    I am busy working on S2DL ver 3 that allows you to use either SDL or Phoenix as the low level rendering code.

Basically 2 of the S2DL units will be specific for the underlying layer (S2DLDraws, S2DLImage) and the rest will be generic. This allows you to only select which directory you want to include and then you'll switch between SDL and Phoenix.

(One of my long long running dreams is to have a standard interface for game development that will allow you to use any underlying technology without changing your code.... At last I think I am getting there).
    William Cairns
    My Games: http://www.cairnsgames.co.za (Currently very inactive)
    MyOnline Games: http://TheGameDeveloper.co.za (Currently very inactive)