Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello, PascalGameDevelopment

Hello, PascalGameDevelopment

First of all, hey ! I havent found any Introduction threads !
    I just discovered this comunity 3 days ago and i am trully fascinated about what you guys are doing around here.
    I am Weedo, a 18 years old student from Romania, i do Pascal in school, but not at such a high standard. That's why i'm trying to improve my skill in programming area.
    I belive Pascal is way over C/C++ , is easyer, is more understandable, it's not based on macros and so on...anyway this is not a C/Pascal comparition sheet...
    At this moment i am in my last year of highschool, and in 5-6 mounths will take my assisstant'programmer diploma, based on pascal coding ! Anyway, as i feel, the kind of things we learn at school are pretty mutch basic, like math problems (matrixes *spelling ?*...vectors, diagonals, chess boards) but we dont progress, we dont get to know the real posibilities of pascal, hell we were never introduced to colisions/object movement/controls/textures....but probably becouse this thing is related to other projects.
    Soo, for my diploma, i have to chose between a FoxPro project involving databases, a HTML Code project involving the construction of a site, and ofcourse Pascal. And becouse we didnt studied Fox at our class, and becouse HTML is used by everyone, and also becouse i like Pascal, i decided to head for a Pascal project (in particular, a game...thinkin' at Pong/Worm/Pacman, from what i've read here, i understanded that these are the easiest ones)
    Anyway, as i stated above, i got no real knowledge of things like object , colisions, AI, controls, but i am looking forward to learn these stuffs, only that i cant realy find any good documentations about it
    So here i am, asking for help about some documentation/tutorials about gaming'development for newbies(if i can call it so)

And, sorry for my ugly and extremly bad english, i learn french and german in school

Introduction thread: http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/viewtopic.php?t=31

Welcome

And indeed, the game stuff you have to learn yourself. Thats how I started.
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

Hello, and welcome ^^

I uploaded source of 2 things that i writen when i started,
    1 is a simple pong game on GDI, the another is something more complex about sprites (GDI too)

http://www.mediafire.com/?6d56ig5gvld

*GDI is the commom delphi form, not suitable for games but usefull when learning.

ask in the forum if you have any question/doubt
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Hey and welcome to the community.
    You can find some beginners tutorials at DelphiGameDev.com
    These will give you a basic introduction to game programming in Pascal (using Delphi).
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

Greetings Weebo, welcome to PGD! Glad to have you with us. Your English is quite passable, so don't feel badly. Many Americans and British do worse. (Ironically.)

For Pascal in a server/CGI environment you might want to investigate L505 (Lars) work to make Powerful Web Utilities; it is the best Pascal CGI wrapper out there.

I'll see if I can dig up any helpful articles for you about game design.

Welcome Weebo. I'm sure you will enjoy your stay here.

And, sorry for my ugly and extremly bad english, i learn french and german in school
    What are you talkin about?? Your english is quiet good IMHO. :thumbup:

I belive Pascal is way over C/C++...
    Ghehe... i think most of the PGD members agree :razz: Don't we??

a Pascal project (in particular, a game...thinkin' at Pong/Worm/Pacman, from what i've read here, i understanded that these are the easiest ones
    Hmmm.... pacman and pong are rather easy to make, but i don't know about worm. I assume you mean the worms game, with the destructable terrain and stuff. Making good destructable terrain can be rather hard. Fortunatly, User137 has made a great game, called "Flexbattle", wich has good destructable terrain. But sadly, i couldn't find the game itsself. maybe the site is down now.

matrixes *spelling ?*
    They are called matrices
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kosek
    Greetings Weebo, welcome to PGD! Glad to have you with us. Your English is quite passable, so don't feel badly. Many Americans and British do worse. (Ironically.)

For Pascal in a server/CGI environment you might want to investigate L505 (Lars) work to make Powerful Web Utilities; it is the best Pascal CGI wrapper out there.

I'll see if I can dig up any helpful articles for you about game design.
    Why Yet Another Web Framework?
    Our opinion: PHP/Perl is messy, Python/Ruby is slow and less powerful.
    please tell me that i don't read that...

complete false info...
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Quote Originally Posted by arthurprs
    Why Yet Another Web Framework?
    Our opinion: PHP/Perl is messy, Python/Ruby is slow and less powerful.
    please tell me that i don't read that...

complete false info...
    Thanks for the flame bait.
    I won't convince anyone.. LOL.

Completely true information. I work on Ruby and PHP scripts and Powtils programs for a living and I should know.

Perl and PHP are messy.. in our opinion. It is just our opinion. Not a fact. That's why it states on the website that it is an opinion, not a fact. Did I mention that it is an opinion.

Ruby and Python can be sped up by extending using Cee language. If that floats your boat, good. Personally, I like having one source base in one language. Not mixing and matching Cee with Ruby and PHP.

Google uses C++ to power their site.
    http://code.google.com/p/google-ctemplate/

However, in many cases, speed and optimization is not important. In that case, your choices are clean languages such as Ruby, Python, Pascal. Pascal offers the advantage that you do not have to write performance friendly code in Cee, you can just use modern pascal. And of course you can reuse all your delphi code and freepascal code from desktop programs (non gui related algorithms, which I have many).
    http://z505.com

Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere
    Hmmm.... pacman and pong are rather easy to make, but i don't know about worm. I assume you mean the worms game, with the destructable terrain and stuff. Making good destructable terrain can be rather hard. Fortunatly, User137 has made a great game, called "Flexbattle", wich has good destructable terrain. But sadly, i couldn't find the game itsself. maybe the site is down now.
    I was refeering to that game where you control a worm and you run eating things and grow larger and larger ...and you dont have to hit your body

anyway, thanks alot for all the replies, feels nice to take part in such a friendly envoirement ! Will check out those delphi sites, at start i tought delphi and pascal are 2 different thing, thats why i never bothered to check delphi out...i did studied a bit of C++ witch i find it booring and messy, and some autoit, but thats way too macro'ed and script'ed...eaven a 5 years old can code in autoit.

oh and one more thing, i looked over the code of arthurprs, and i was thinikin'...back at school we got Borland Pascal 7.0 instaled, but just that, no libraries, no addons, nothing, so i was wondering, it can be done without addons ? just with a default instalation compiler ? becouse i cant instal new stuffs at school pc (the computers got some restrictions, heavy restrictions, they disabled eaven right click)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast