Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Converting MIDI to some mod format

Converting MIDI to some mod format

Yeah, that makes it sound right. Only problem is, if I open something without the full MOD convert, then save it as an IT or XM file, other players don't understand it. Winamp plays both, but no sound comes out. ModPlug Tracker won't open the IT files; it opens XMs, but lists them with instruments but no samples.

As for the "notes in the wrong place" thing, I won't argue details of MIDI file formats with you, because it's something I know next to nothing about. All I know is, the song as it is plays just fine in Winamp and Windows Media Player. Maybe there's more than one valid way to place a note-off event? I've heard there's more than one MIDI format...

Mason

Quote Originally Posted by masonwheeler
    Yeah, that makes it sound right. Only problem is, if I open something without the full MOD convert, then save it as an IT or XM file, other players don't understand it. Winamp plays both, but no sound comes out. ModPlug Tracker won't open the IT files; it opens XMs, but lists them with instruments but no samples.
    But the Original Impulse Tracker for DOS understand und can process the MIDI events :-) Short MPT and WinAmp have no "complete" IT Format support, but BRT has it incl. the MIDI features from the IT file format.

Quote Originally Posted by masonwheeler
    As for the "notes in the wrong place" thing, I won't argue details of MIDI file formats with you, because it's something I know next to nothing about. All I know is, the song as it is plays just fine in Winamp and Windows Media Player. Maybe there's more than one valid way to place a note-off event? I've heard there's more than one MIDI format...
    Yes, because MIDI Soundfont (SF1/SF2/DLS) instruments can have a special sustain loop type, which can have a automatic maximum sustain hold time, but which does not exist in MOD/S§M/XM/IT/BRT. These A(H)DSR envelopes with the special sustain behaviour are not easy to convert into tracker-style freedrawn envelopes. That is a bit complex to explain, but I've tried it now. :-)

P.S. BeRoTracker is completely written in object pascal incl. Sound Player Engine

OK, that makes sense.

Mason

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12