Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a real good RTS!

Blog Entries

Looking for a real good RTS!

Actually the Ground Control games seem interesting. Made by Massive Entertainment and published by Sierra. I find it funny that they seem to only publish games now, what ever happened to the time they used to make game, huh?

Haemimont Games is another interesting company indirectly made mention by Weedo for their Imperivm games. Which to be fair, I haven't played. Mind you 50+ developers... I'm weary of how the gameplay will really be, but at a glance their games seem to have potential. At least if their website has anything to say, they'll be pretty.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    Common guys, don't you know of any small companies like this?
    Hmm perhaps SunAge is what you're looking for. It was featured some time ago on Gamedev. Apparently these guys worked on it for close to a decade. :shock:

Alternatively, you could also try Machines at war. Although graphically it's not that interesting, is can be played on various systems.

Blog Entries

Oh and I guess I should mention Supreme Commander from Gas Powered Games. I'm a bit weary of GPG after playing Dungeon Siege 2. :? I loved 1, but it seems like M$ got their claws into them and they started to lean the way of the dark side after that. It was a decent game and all, had a much nicer story development, but in the end gameplay was a tad more streamlined towards whats more traditional in RPG hack-em-ups.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Have to mention this old classic; Total Annihilation (and expansion Core Contingency). Has much similarities to Red Alert and Starcraft...released slightly after it same year. If i could point out some good things about it:
    - Unlimited units (if you can afford them by resources)
    - Stationary very long range turrets of different kinds (like nuke silos, sniper cannons and massive miniguns that devastate entire bases if built close enough with proper defence)
    - Little more advanced AI orders (air units can for example rest on ground but lift off on enemy sight, rapidly engage it and soon return)
    - 3D polygonal units
    - What makes skirmish fun is that you can tease CPU as long as you like, they will fully recover as long as they can get their hands on resources and any needed construction unit
    - Ability to queue different things like constructions, movement, repair...
    - Fans are still around modding and playing it online.

But in my long path i've never come across RTS better than Starcraft Tried a lot.

How about 'Warzone 2100'?

It is opensource RTS on various platforms.

http://wz2100.net/
    What you see is what you do.
    <br />
    <br />Sorry, I'm not English well.

NecroSOFT - End of line -

Quote Originally Posted by NecroDOME
    Found it: Nero
    Doesn't qualify as RTS. It's a real time tactics/training game like some of the "neo-RTS"es. EDIT: Not to mention it's completely boring IMO.

I never played it. So i don't know if its boring
    Definition of RTS: real time strategy. I don't know, but somehow it's real team and strategic. It's not about moving your unit,s but more how you train them . Just a different approach imo.
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

Hehe. Just try it. You'll be snoring in minutes, unless you've got the patience to teach very slow learning bots how to do things right.

The (newer) difference between RTS and RTT (Real Time Tactics) is that RTS spans more of the whole battle, whereas RTT is only a portion ... like the new game by Massive Entertainment. Whatever it is called... I forgot. Anyway, all you do is command units, tactical weapons, and reinforcements--like the Close Combat series. In NERO all you do is train soldiers and throw them at another squad. Tactics/Training is the genre.

Just my take since RTS is my favorite genre.

Blog Entries

NERO is more or less an AI toy made by a bunch of university students. Really cool technology, but not a great implementation as far as a game of gameplay in general goes.

It also takes a bit of a steep learning curve I also found when I tried it. I didn't really have the patience to learn how to get to going properly however so I really can't say much about it that would be useful to you.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast