Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lazarus 0.9.24 Final Testing

Lazarus 0.9.24 Final Testing

I have 2 test programs. I compiled them with FPC 2.0 last week, and now I compiled them with FPC 2.2. The first .exe changed from 7317KB to 11769KB (VCL application). The second one changed from 2036KB to 1615KB (console application). So it seems something was enhanced for console, but maybe the VCL and related libraries increased their size (new features?).

But one thing really increased is the compilation speed. The VCL app has about 60000 lines of code, just from my own programming, and "build all" takes almost the same as Delphi.

Blog Entries

Oh wow.. 0.9.24 WAS released already... And no new item on the Lazarus website! Thats so awesome! :lol:
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by ?ëu?±o Mart??nez
    Now a question: Does FPC 2.2 allows real inline procedures? I mean, if I declare a procedure/function/method as inline it will be inlined in all units that use that procedure/function/method?
    It does for functions and procedures. In my code FPC 2.0 does too...

Quote Originally Posted by arthurprs
    Quote Originally Posted by jdarling
    The blog entry was made on the 5th of November (easy to subscribe to) and 9.24 was released late (if I remember right on Thursday) last week. Been running it for a few days now and while I'm impressed with the speed increases, there are some problems . In short, don't upgrade just install over and re-build.
    more details?
    Ok, here is my list so far:
    The good:
    * The IDE starts up and runs much faster.
    * Compile times are about 3 times faster.
    * Seems more stable, in fact I haven't had a crash since I installed this version (yeah)!

The bad:
    * SynUniSyn is still broke, luckily I have a patched version that works just fine. Trying to get a diff together so I can send it in to the team.
    * Some components just won't install in this new version. Changes to the underlying code that I haven't found fixes for just yet (if I do I'll patch and post as appropriate).
    * The scroll box still doesn't want to work for me
    * TPicture still doesn't have Load and Save functionality built into it so you have to hack the source to add it.

The ugly:
    * Upgrading (IE: Installing over a previous verssion) caused BIG issues in fact I couldn't perform a basic re-build of the IDE. Installing to a new location, copying over my source projects and components folder, then re-building seemed to fix this easily enough though.

Overall, I give it a 4 out of 5.

Quote Originally Posted by cronodragon
    I have 2 test programs. I compiled them with FPC 2.0 last week, and now I compiled them with FPC 2.2. The first .exe changed from 7317KB to 11769KB (VCL application). The second one changed from 2036KB to 1615KB (console application). So it seems something was enhanced for console, but maybe the VCL and related libraries increased their size (new features?).
    I think the change in code size can be explained by the following. FPC 2.2.0 can do better smartlinking, resulting in smaller executables. FPC 2.2.0 adds more complete debug information which results in larger exectuables.

Bottom line, the effect on executables with debug information depends, but exectuables without debug info (or stripped) are likely smaller.

Blog Entries

I've had issues with the new version of Lazarus too. I suspect it also has to do with installing over an older version.

My issues, that I've noticed, are more directly involved with the LCL units not being found. Specifically; Forms, Interfaces, Buttons, StdCtrls, Graphics and so on. My non-GUI programs compile and debug just fine as they don't have any of the LCL in them.

I'll report back what uninstalling and installing the new version fresh does.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries

Yup! That fixed it alright. But I had to re-customize everything. (Can't help but need the old Turbo IDE colors. )

BTW; When did the -OG switch become obsolete? And what does it do again? (I was testing a bit of an older application that was still created about Laz 0.9.x and this came up.)
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Can't wait till they get the bugs worked out in the upgrade paths, but until then it is fairly quick to re-build now and copying the config files seems to make the job easier
    Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    BTW; When did the -OG switch become obsolete? And what does it do again? (I was testing a bit of an older application that was still created about Laz 0.9.x and this came up.)
    LOL, I don't know, and I don't know. But if its something important, I'm not missing it

Blog Entries

I've also found that one of my projects now crashes the program when it's running with the debugger on the pop up of the hint label in the OpenDialog. Seems to happen every time AND only when the hint that would come up in an OpenDialog box component triggers.

And this is with my fresh install too.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12