Thread: Chrome - now with FREE Visual Studio 2008

Chrome - now with FREE Visual Studio 2008

With Visual Studio 2008 RTM’ed last week, we at RemObjects are happy to discontinue one of our best-selling product SKUs: “Chrome with Visual Studio", the edition where you could pay $50 extra when buying Chrome to get the full Visual Studio IDE, is no more.

What’s going on? simple: We wanted all our users to get the benefit of using the new version of Visual Studio, and so we’re making the Visual Studio 2008 available to everyone, now.
    More info @ the RemObjects Blog

This is fantastic news as you no longer have to use the command line tool to compile your projects. Chrome and the upcoming Oxygene will allow you to target Win32, Linux and Mac OS X using Mono.

Also keep in mind that the Chrome XNA stuff I released last year should work within this IDE as well.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Blog Entries

Whoa, not bad.

I wonder how they managed to strike that kind of deal with the big M$? :scratch: The obvious downside of using Chrome before was that it was an add-on instead of a standalone suite of tools.

This certainly sweetens the pot as it were. More pressure for CodeGear to step it up even more I think.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Interesting, perhaps I should start looking into XNA and Chrome.
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

Sorry but i could not understand well with my english, chrome is now free?
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

no, it just ships with VS 2008 for free (you don't pay for VS, you still pay for Chrome)

Quote Originally Posted by Setharian
    no, it just ships with VS 2008 for free (you don't pay for VS, you still pay for Chrome)
    thanks
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    I wonder how they managed to strike that kind of deal with the big M$? :scratch:
    Easy, it's a "Chrome" exclusive parallel to the Standard edition. It is only missing the other languages.

The obvious downside of using Chrome before was that it was an add-on instead of a standalone suite of tools.
    I think you don't quite understand... the language compiler, etc, are extensions to Visual Studio in DLL form. Yes, it's a kind of extension, but your assemblies and code are comparable to anything that is generated by any other Visual Studio language. Technically this cuts cost--a lot.

This certainly sweetens the pot as it were. More pressure for CodeGear to step it up even more I think.
    Lambda expressions, LINQ (Language integrated queries), anonymous typing, anonymous methods (in objects), parameter (vararg style into an array) functions, and a whole other realm of new language features ... I think CodeGear has to work to even compete right now!

All for a $300 price tag, unless you have VS 2005 (then it's only $59). If I buy a compiler it won't be Delphi, it'll be Chrome.