I don't know the answer but if there is gonna be a compo I would request a different structure.
In theory the small stage deadlines may sound as a good idea, but at least for me it can have a devastating effect. When I missed a deadline due to time issues I found it hard to motivate myself to continue on the game. Not so much of the lost points, but because I could see that I couldn't follow the time schedule that had been given to me. I could perhaps have made something playable if I had bothered spending time on the project the last two weeks, but my motivation was totally gone.
For me it would have been better if we just had one final deadline to follow. It was an interesting idea using stage deadlines an try to force us to use a more professional development process, but most of us only have some spare time from work/school to work on the game. We're not a proffesional game company and we should be allowed to work in our own ways without feeling being punished.
This could possibly give some more finished games. Something this compo could need if it is supposed to survive (if it isn't already dead).