Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Pascal is Still My Lovely Language?

Is Pascal is Still My Lovely Language?

Quote Originally Posted by JSoftware
    You've got a bit of a point there. Delphi 7 was the epitome of a nice IDE. But Turbo Delphi Explorer likes to crash on me on completely random occasions
    Maybe it is just me but my Delphi 7 crashes everyday, especialy when I close it

However, my Delphi 2007 had no single crash since I am using it.

I think that Delphi 7 is one of the best delphi versions available. It works very nice and stable on my machine. BDS explorer however raises AV's every 20 minutes, even when i'm only changing my source. I also tried Delphi 2007. It is quite nice, and the language has more features. On the other hand, there are things i don't like about it.

> The help system is totally messed up. In Delphi 7 everything work's fine.
    > The nodes in the code explorer tree, are expanded by default, which i think is really annoying. I have to scroll for ages to find a specific method or var. This was no problem in Delphi 7. The nodes only expand, when you clicked the + and only collapsed when you click the -. That's how i think it should work.

I really hope that Codegear will make their new products a bit more stable, reliable and user-friendly. Delphi 2007 has great features, but i REALLY need a good help system. So i'll stick with Delphi 7 for the moment... until borland releases some better version.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

so.. let's wikify the help files of D7?
    This is my game project - Top Down City:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...y-Topic-Reboot

My OpenAL audio wrapper with Intelligent Source Manager to use unlimited:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...source+manager

Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere
    I really hope that Codegear will make their new products a bit more stable, reliable and user-friendly. Delphi 2007 has great features, but i REALLY need a good help system. So i'll stick with Delphi 7 for the moment... until borland releases some better version.
    Have you tried Update 3? They improved help a lot. Now it is like 80% of D7 help

Re: Is Pascal is Still My Lovely Language?

Delphi is a good language. But I prefer Macromedia Flash, python/pygame or Gamemaker. I use delphi for helping tools programs. I got GLScene for delphi 7, but I have not try it.
    Live programming, eat programming, breath programming and die programming

And here we are. One and a half year after that topic was started.
    Is Pascal still your lovely language?

For me it is.. but evil Microsoft's clouds are covering beautiful Pascal sky more and more.... but wait! There is this fresh Free Pascal wind! Also, does Delphi reborn like a phoenix? Who knows what will happen?

Cuz pascal code looks better
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Blog Entries

You know. I've been horribly disappointed by Delphi since 8 and even 2005. But seeing 2010, wow! They are starting to see past just what their competition is doing and they are starting to return to what made the compiler/IDE combination great. Flexibility and availability!

No more do I expect more lame components that do nothing more than what me and my 'friends' (*ahem* you guys *ahem*) could do. lol There is some real practical and modivational innovation going on here these days. Yes, late, but better late than never. And it doesn't look like they are going to be slowing down either. [The impossibly hard to say|or remember how to spell] Embarcadero Technologies really looks like they are the best people to own the tools and the team that makes them. They have made more progress in the last year or so than in all those years since Delphi 7 with Borland. They even corrected a few messes made by Borland.

Delphi is indeed reborn! I think 2010 is a step in the right direction. I can't wait for what they do next with it.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Yes WILL they are making a good progress starting from Delphi 2007. However they refuse to make a free version of Delphi like they (Borland) did in early days. Without free version there is no new user base and without a user base...
    I think the next one or two releases will definie a future for Delphi. They said that they will deliver a cross platform solution in the next release. This is hard for me to belive and they want to target Linux and Mac OS at the same time.
    If they manage to do it and people will buy that version (hope that story with Kylix won't happen again) the future will look bright.

Blog Entries

I doubt a Kylix repeat. I mean that was just pathetic Borland marketing trying to run the development side of the tools.

As far as the free Delphi is concerned though, that was Code Gear that set that up not Borland. The Code Gear team was the team behind that 100%. I thought it was good, but I doubt that the Turbo Delphi releases would alone bring back a strong era for the Delphi tools. What I think would be a better idea would be a stripped-down compiler/IDE package for Small Businesses and Students/Hobbiests at a reasonable price for those small-time developers. They still only have Architect and Professional editions of Delphi. 'Standard' still hasn't seemed to have make a return yet.

But maybe something like a 'Delphi Lite' at say... $60 - $100 might bring in some extra users of the tools.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast