Quote Originally Posted by rif
Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kosek
Half the world who are inexperienced with OBJECT Pascal still believe it to be a solely procedural language. The other forty percent or so are just arrogant and insulting about it.
I understand what you are saying, you could as well add that many people will say "nobody uses Delphi or Pascal, all wellknown programs are written in C, C++ or Java".
While Delphi is not the most used programming tool/language there is a lot of applications that has been written in Delphi, people just do not know.
That is why we over on the Delphi Wiki started the list "Good quality applications built with Delphi".
http://delphi.wikia.com/wiki/Good_Qu...lt_With_Delphi
You are welcome to add more (good) applications to the lists there.
Delphi is mainly strong in utility, productivity and office software, whereas an area like games development is a weaker point. That is why it is good to see all the effort people here on PGD is putting into game development. Once in a while there comes out some good looking games with great playbility.
Doei RIF
I understand what you say as well, and understand that I am a longtime user of Delphi and Object Pascal (more or less). I have used Delphi or other Pascal compilers for no less than nine years, running on ten now. I started with Delphi 4.

I am not arguing about switching away, that isn't what I want. What I want are better compilers for Pascal, better stability, and better affordability. But also, to extend and grow the development community you cannot expect sales without some effort towards curing the negative view of the language as a whole.

I hear you saying .NET is slow, Yuriy, but in my experiments with Chrome and .NET I have found this to not be the case. There are always bottlenecks and the language and framework dictate the location of these. Thus far, every bottleneck I've found has a shortcut that provides, at least, a decent level of speed. For games, perhaps it is a little slow--but I'm leaning toward making a roguelike at the moment and turnbased games don't have to process as fast as real-time ones. At least, unlike delphi, I can develop for Mono and put it on any system that supports it.