Thread: My project : Chicken Crossing the Road

My project : Chicken Crossing the Road

Hello !

I am trying to understand some basics 2D game development.

So I decided to start small and try a simple game as a beginning.

On this porpuse, I choose to write a remake of an ooooold Atari game called Frogger (Or something like that...).

I will write it using a Chicken that crosses a road (I was thinking about a tomatoe, but a chicken is nicer), full of cars at the Rush Hour. The objective is to get all chickens across the road before the timeout and without getting em killed by the cars. Level difficulty will be achieved by using variations of car patterns and speeds.

The game should be playable online, and the Chicken should have some "latency" (Inertia) in his responsiveness (To emulate Chickens naturally ocurring low brain cell count).

But i need some help. I am a programmer, not a game artist.

So i am looking for someone who could draw chickens (Both walking or crushed) Cars (Trucks, Cars etc) and Asphalt (With variations). Ah, if the chicken is stopped it would be nice to have it eating something. (Those things chickens do all the time).

I also need sound effects (A nice cocoroco and a screaming chicken).

1 - Basic game logic will be about controlling the chicken (indirectly) against a stream of cars to get to the other side of the road. Click a chicken, click somewhere in the road, the chicken tries to obey. Carefull, they are not very smart.

2 - You can have more than one chicken traversing the road at the same time, this can save time, but adds difficulty.

3 - Game difficulty increases with car patterns and speed.

4 - Chickens can fly above the cars and the traps, for some distance (Can we have a chicken flying sprite ?) but this ability needs time recharging.

5 - After all chickens traversed the road, you go to another, higher, level.

6 - In multiplayer, both teams chickens will be traversing the same road.

7 - You can setup traps to make the other team chicken's life more difficult.

2D engine : I will try with HGE.

Sprites needed : A sequence of a chicken walking, a sequence of a chicken flying, a sequence of an idle chicken eating somthing on the road, some cars, some roads, some traps, a dead chicken (poor little chicken), a chicken win screen.

Sounds neded : Cocorico... A chicken dieing... Trap setting and triggering, hmm car sounds in general. Flying chicken. etc.

If someone wants to help me, jump in !

Thanks in advance,
    J. Aldo.

Re: My project : Chicken Crossing the Road

Hi jorgealdojr,

Welcome to PGD!

First let me say that I'm glad to read you're going for something simple. Granted, you do want multiplayer too, but at least the game you've chosen is very much doable for a first (or second?) try. Anyway. I understand the need for graphics and let me be honest. That is what most of us struggle with. We have a lot of people here who can write some pretty fancy stuff, but when it comes to graphics well... not so much. I think I can safely say that you wont find someone here on PGD who is able or willing to create the art you want. If you're serious about this then you'll need to look somewhere else for graphics.

However. As it happened, I saw this message quite late in the evening and, well, I wasn't in the mood to do much else so I gave it a shot to see what I could do in about 1,5 hour.
    I have created for you one chicken with a simple walk animation (3 frames, just play the frames repeatable as 1,2,3,2 and you're good), one dead chicken, 3 different colored cars, 3 road textures and 2 upper and lower grass/road textures. You can download the files in zip from here. All models (except for the road and grass) came from here http://archive3d.net/. I merely rendered them and added them to files. Feel free to use them as you want, no need to to mention my name, just don't claim them as your own .

Enjoy.

Thank you for the help !

with those sprites you gave me i can setup most of the game

@jorgealdojr
    2D engine : I will try with HGE.
    Wonderful. If I can be of any help with the engine, feel free to contact me.

@Traveler
    Coolness, thanks for helping him with the graphics. This is always a constant problem for us programmers, haha.

Jarrod Davis
    Technical Director
    Hadron Game
    http://hadrongames.com

As for sounds, try freesound.org. There's plenty of recordings and/or computer generated sounds you could use. I think there are different licenses but if you're making the game for yourself, you can use pretty much everything.

Good luck with your project.

For sound fx you might try looking into sfxr (I found it yesterday, again, on the Ludum Dare site). Perfect little project for creating quick and easy sfx.

As for actual location: http://www.drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html

- Jeremy

PS: Downloaded the chicken as I just can't resist looking to see what Traveler came up with

Thanks guys

Looking forward to the game