Thread: Delphi OpenAL 1.1

Delphi OpenAL 1.1

Project: Delphi OpenAL
    Url: http://www.noeska.com/doal/

Today i released a new version of the openal.pas unit for OpenAL 1.1 .
    It now features some more OpenAL commands.
    Support for the EFX extension. This means you can effect a sound in an other room by the wall and other rooms inbetween. (or just apply a bathroom effect as was already possible with the eax extension). Support for converting EAX effects to EFX effects will follow.
    Support for recording audio with OpenAL.

The following new tutorials are almost finished:
    Lesson #14 (streaming buffers)
    Lesson #15 (Stereo to 2 mono sources)
    Lesson #16 (Recording sound)
    Lesson #17 (Using the EFX Extension)

PS i believe i already had a topic on OpenAL under Your Projects? But i cannot seem to find it. Must have been wrong about that.
    http://3das.noeska.com - create adventure games without programming

Blog Entries

Delphi OpenAL 1.1

Excellent! I was wondering when you'd be updating to match the new 1.1 version of OpenAL.

How much optimization was put into this version of the headers anyhow?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Delphi OpenAL 1.1

That's great. Will use it in my next engine. I will not touch my current audio module because it was the most problematic module in my engine (don't fix it if it aint broken).

I recall that OpenAL 1.1 has offset functionality. You could read the offset of the buffers in seconds/samples. Can you also set offsets?? That might solve our "Stereo to dual-mono is echooing" problem.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Delphi OpenAL 1.1

The functions for setting the offset in an buffer are there now. Not tested that yet.

Also if your application is working with the openal.pas it wil also work with the new openal.pas unit.

@Will what do you mean by optimization?

I did a header conversion for the missing parts that are new to OpenAL 1.1 and added these to the openal.pas unit that i made to resemble the way the DGLOpenGL unit is set up. For the previous openal.pas i already added some OpenAL 1.1 beta functions. Things have yet to be cleaned up and polished. I am doing conversion by hand (lots of search and replace and even lots of manual typing). So i take up cleaning up later as more functions are tested and proved working.

If you have optimization suggestion do let me know so they can be applied.

Also i still have to take up converting the eax effect const definitions so we have some effects to play around with.

As for core openal functions about 10 new functions were added to the unit. I did not count the new const defintions. There is one new Extension namely the efx extension (this was the most work as it meant lots of new functions, types and consts). The device enumeration support was already there in the previous openal.pas as was the VORBIS extension.

Delphi OpenAL 1.1

The device enumeration support was already there in the previous openal.pas as was the VORBIS extension.
    I recall i read somewhere that the VORBIS extension was not working properly. (Check one of our previous threads). I had problems with the ogg extension tutorial on your site. Are those probs fixed in OpenAL 1.1?

Did you test that tutorial (tutorial 9)?? :?
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Delphi OpenAL 1.1

Today i released a new version of the openal.pas unit for OpenAL 1.1
    Excellent!

Delphi OpenAL 1.1

I need to retest tutorial 9 as it was written for the openal 1.1 beta release. Also for it to work openal needs to be able to find the dll files needed for ogg vorbis so you need to place the where your openal resides.

Blog Entries

Delphi OpenAL 1.1

I mean any fixes or improvements from your previous set of headers?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Delphi OpenAL 1.1

Are you still using the set of OpenAL headers (e.g al, alut, altypes)? Those files are rather old i guess. You better use OpenAL.pas because it supports dynamic loading of the OpenAL DLL (Which is alway's nice to have ). I don't know what header(s) you should use when developing for linux or Mac. :?

Delphi OpenAL 1.1

The openal.pas should also work under linux. The first version of openal.pas was tested and worked.

The al.pas alut.pas and altypes.pas are not maintained anymore. Is there still a need for those? I think it is easier to use openal.pas as it is all in one and features dynamic loading of the .dll or .so