Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FREE: 20hrs custom 2d art!

FREE: 20hrs custom 2d art!

I like the idea, I will still offer the game graphics to the indie dev community though. I really wanted to do this as a chance for any up-and-comers without the resources. There are plenty of great programmers who need a hand with art, or so I'm led to believe.

I am a little surprised at the lack of response in this respect? There are no catches. Free art, by a game artist. I think I've only had one direct response, but it was by someone who I would do free art for anyway.

For the delphi community also I would do free graphics, so let the 20hr offer stand and start giving me ideas for your competition graphics. I need lots of input, and also a general agreement on what is needed.

Thanks for your support.

lief

Well, there is a catch. You'll do 2d art if we have a concept you like (and a prototype for that matter).

I just, finally, had a concept last night for a game -- which, kind of, puts me at a disadvantage because all my code is for other genres. So... I love the offer, but I don't know that I can make the time limit for the prototype. :?

Now this is what I'm talking about.

Real Collaboration.
    So if we can come up with a rough genre, some neat ideas we'll be able to get something really special made this year's competition.

I really like the CuteGod game competition which was run last year on another forum. The graphics were specific enough to be recognizable but generic enough to be able to do anything with.

If we were to focus on the basics for the graphical theme and element required, the coders would have a field day as soon as the images were ready.

I also like the idea of the free 20hrs for a project. 20hrs isn't a very long time though... I must have spent many days just creating Art assets for Crashblock, it's a simple game and I know the tools I used very well and didn't waste much time... given the average developer's tenancy to over-scope themselves to death, what would be the deal if a project wanted more of your time afterwards?

I really like your work examples too.

if you want me to do some graphics for your game, whatever it is, just ask me about it. i am open to ideas. i will pick a project (for which i can do polished gfx in under 20hrs), and work on it. if the art is not finished at 20hrs due to miscalculation in my abilities i will do the extra to finish the project.

did i mention preferably freeware/opensource games, just to stay in the spirit of things?

I believe 20 hours is plenty of time to complete art assets for a small game.

In regards to the competition, how many artists will be working on the gfx? A team of two or three would be great, wouldn't you agree?

I wonder if it would be possible to keep the genre options open, not limited by a specific style of graphics, eg. shmup, car racing, matchlotsofcolorgemswithamillionvariationsonthethe meallbeingprettymuchthepopradiooftheonlineandindie gamingworld, rpg, rts and all the rest that you know anyways.

a tileset, as i think was mentioned would probably be a sensible way to go.
    64x64, png format, 24bit, alpha

would the peoples want them as distinct blocks that could be used in a sokoban game, or a jun and rump, or a matching-game, or a physics game, or breakout etc ORRRR as tiles like grass, dirt, water, sand etc for use in a rpg, rts, tank game, driving game? i mean tiles that blend seamlessly together, drived by a tilemap engine?

peace
    lief

Quote Originally Posted by lief
    I am a little surprised at the lack of response in this respect? There are no catches. Free art, by a game artist. I think I've only had one direct response, but it was by someone who I would do free art for anyway.
    There is some catches. Like, if you are invited to make some graphics for game but then as projects usually take very long time and need alot of different graphics they should be consistent in style and quality or it looks weird. It's nice offer but what people really need is persistent people to work for projects for their full duration. Of course as most of them are designed to be freeware or opensource the commitment don't have to be anything big.

Don't have any good projects going atm, other than random stuff and engine creating

But it's still a nice offer.

matchlotsofcolorgemswithamillionvariationsonthethe meallbeingprettymuchthepopradiooftheonlineandindie gamingworld
    Gotta love that Genre :lol:

What tools do you use?
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

For the delphi community also I would do free graphics, so let the 20hr offer stand and start giving me ideas for your competition graphics. I need lots of input, and also a general agreement on what is needed.
    as I understand for now - competitive games, sheep.

but look at this thread for more info
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...pic.php?t=5202

haha great idea.

i used to love that little sheep screen pet. still do actually. but its a long distance love now..

To answer earlier questions:

jdarling: Sylphus is just a piece of original pixel art

arthurprs: I use photoshop, proMotion, and a few other little tools occasionally.

Re: FREE: 20hrs custom 2d art!

Hi,

My name is lief jorgen. I do 2d gameart. I have been involved as an artist with Nintendo DS and T-Mobile Sidekick game development, and a lot of digital art over the past 10 years.
    I am offering 20 hours of my time (worth ~$1200) as an artist, FREE, to a suitable candidate. I will select a game to work on in one weeks time (24 March, 200.

I will need a game prototype (obviously the graphics do not matter), a short description of your game & gameplay, an outline of your artistic vision for the game.
    Get in early so I have plenty of time to consider.

Please contact me at lief.jorgen@gmail.com, or leave a message here.

I am giving this gift back to the community in appreciation of the indie games scene.
    Hi Lief,
    welcome to the site :-)

I am currently creating a 2d platform jump-n-run game that is badly in need of graphics :-)

I have uploaded a video of the current work in progress here
    http://fpc4gp2x.eonclash.com/downloa...Pony_Game.html

It was going to be for the Gamedev Four Elements competition currently running (finished on April 3rd), but there is no way I am going finish the game for then.

I do still want to continue the game anyway regardless and as you can see I have most of the very basic platform mechanics already done.

If it helps, you can read a writeup about the game I posted on the gamedev site (http://www.gamedev.net/community/for...opic_id=466698).

If you couldn't tell from my programmer art, the main character is supposed to be a humanoid pony

Feel free to private message me, or email me at paulfnicholls AT gmail DOT com :-)

cheers,
    Paul

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast