Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What game to buy?

What game to buy?

Hi folks. I'm planning to spend some of my hard-stolen cash on a new game for the PC (not consoles; I don't own any of the next gen ones...).

Can anyone recommend a good PC game to get, and why you like it/think it would be good? I'm veering towards GTA3. It looks cool and I liked the previous ones in the series. Here are some recent games that I've played and don't need to get: Medal of Honor, Max Payne and Black and White.

To be honest, I've not followed the PC games scene for a little while now, so I'm out of touch. Any suggestions are much appreciated!
    "All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind."
    <br />-- Aristotle

iLLUNis

What game to buy?

I would suggest Neverwinter Nights or Warcraft 3. RPG or RTS up to U. Both really good though and worth the money according to me at least. The graphics in both of them are amazing although in NWN there are some problems which i think should be solved with a few patch releases. Spend wisely.... :twisted:

What game to buy?

If you've got a Cable or DSL connection(or faster :evil: ), a game you might like is Battlefield 1942, multiplayer strategy game which words alone can't describe it, drive tanks, command destroyers, fly planes, snipe, drive jeeps, in huge huge 64 player maps

Going to be playing it at an upcoming LAN *can't wait*

What game to buy?

I did like BattleField 1942 too, however I hated the fact that there wasn't really a singleplayer mode with a story or something, it's just a multiplayer game with bots, but it was good!

I also like Medieval Total War, which is Shogun but then in the Medieval times and with much more variety... The great thing of Shogun I have always found (and Medieval) was that it is a combination of RTS and TBS, something I had never seen before...

Another game that I very enjoy(ed) is Ghost Recon, but that game is a bit older allready...

I too have cable, so that makes it a lot easier to get games without having to pay for them...
    Do it by the book, but be the author!
    <br />
    <br />Visit the Lion Productions website at:
    <br />http://lionprod.f2o.org

What game to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLion
    I too have cable, so that makes it a lot easier to get games without having to pay for them...
    *Cough cough splutter*

You meant "get game demos without paying for them", didn't you? (Notice me wielding my moderator stick of justice threateningly...)

I only have a 56K modem at home , which means that any online game will suck quite a lot. Thanks for your suggestions so far, people, and please keep them coming!
    <br />-- Aristotle

What game to buy?

That exactly what I meant AliMonster :roll:
    Do it by the book, but be the author!
    <br />
    <br />Visit the Lion Productions website at:
    <br />http://lionprod.f2o.org

What game to buy?

I was going to recomend MOHAA, but I see you've already played that. Did you know that there is an expansion pack for MOHAA (called Spearhead) due out this month? I am planning to get this, and IMHO MOHAA is one of the best games available at the moment.

I recently bought a re-released game called 'Deperados: Wanted Dead or Alive' (AĴ£9.99 from PCWorld). It's similar to Commandos, but has much better AI, physics, etc.
    [size=10px][ Join us in #pgd on irc.freenode.net ] [ Sign the Petition for a Software Patent Free Europe ][/size]

What game to buy?

GTA3 is pretty nice and it's great fun but the graphic isn't so good.

I've heared that Unreal2003 is great (also the graphics), Max Payne is also quite intresting but hasn't any multiplayer, etc. features.
    wolfnight.org - Wolfnight Game Development

iLLUNis

What game to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Snape
    GTA3 is pretty nice and it's great fun but the graphic isn't so good.
    I ll have to agree with Snape....GTA3 is good but the graphics.... ....i would go for Unreal if i had to choose...

What game to buy?

Hmm. Interesting replies so far. I may well go for Unreal, perhaps. More likely, I'll go with the time-honoured tradition of looking at the back of the boxes and choosing a pretty game without any prior knowledge

Slightly off-topic now, but what the hey... One thing's for sure. I can't abide Doom3 and I don't want to get it when it's released. I'm sorry, but this trend towards "player versus one or two monsters" sucks ass several times over. If I wanted that then... well, I don't want that, so I don't know how to finish that sentence. Mass destruction is what it's about. Comically over-the-top violence (Serious Sam, Total Annihilation) is cool.

I remember reading in that leaked PC Gamer screenshot series that Carmack stated something along the lines of "AI will be okay". Uh, that's no good. When it comes down to it, you're going to have to turn down all of the graphic options to get it running acceptably, and if there's nothing besides the graphics then what's the point? Ugh.

I've not played Deus Ex yet, so I may grab that one (or even Anachronox...).

The one game I *am* looking forward to is Thief 3. The Thief series, IMO, takes games in the direction they should be heading - great AI, excellent use of sound, fear of the bad guys and *freedom*. Discuss.
    <br />-- Aristotle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast