czar

No worries, this is a good and valid question:

* Let say you want to provide MOD'ing support for your project or even make it easy for you to update it yourself. You can expose enough to the scripting engine to make this process easy. If you have good interop between native and script, which PyroScript does, this becomes very easy to do.

* Unreal uses Unreal Script, the first versions of Quake used QuakeC and Quake3 used an updated scripting solution (I think). There are many commercial game projects that use Lua for scripting. Duke Nukem 3D had a scripting system. The Cipher game engine.

* Since most scripting system runs in a sandbox environment there is a layer of security that you now have. This can work to your advantage such as helping to minimize cheating in a networked type game.

* You game logic and configuration can be in script, which then can be updated easily without recompiling.

* If you do not have access to Delphi or you wish to use a light weight development system for proof-of-concept or prototyping.

* PyroScript is really not scripting in the normal sense because it's actually compiled code (not byte code but native machine code). But because you easily interop just like a good scripting system I still refer to it as such. It's powerful enough to interop with your native project or stand alone.

* Lua is great, it's light weight, fast and popular, but my preference is to use the same language that I use every day. What's nice is that in the future more language will be added (java script, basic and C) and they will work together.

* Back in the day, a company called Rebel Boat Rocker was using Java Script as there scripting solution.

* Lets say you have your engine ready in native code and your working on a game project. You want to be able to easily update things yourself in addition to making modifications. A Delphi or FPC (sure it's free, but still) installation and configuration can be a chore. With the scripting system in place, you can hand this off to other members of your team to code the logic or maybe the GUI front end without having to touch the native stuff. You can simply hook into your complex native code with the sandbox scripting system. Someone looking to MOD your game can just fire up the script editor or your game editor tool and make great MODs.

* We plan to use all that I've mentioned (and more) in our game projects moving forward.

* It's all about flexibility and expanding possibilities. If you Google you can see scripting is being used a lot and the different ways it can benefit your project.