This week the Euro prices for a Tiburon update are known. The prices are luckily not euro=dollar anymore, but still quite high (low Eur 300s iirc)

OTOH, there are several things I need an upgrade for:

(the good stuff, private)
- I'm still at D2005, so miss some of the stuff of D2006. (fastcode in RTL, 16-byte aligning, SSE2 instructions, better optimizer)
- unicode
- generics No fancy stuff, just containers.
- More FPC compability. Not only exit() but there is also a directive that enables pchar() like behaviour for other pointers, like FPC had forever.
- At least they have a version with real new features then. It is not just useless .NET me tooisms (don't care for anonymous methods, typing is never limiting)

That seems trivial, but when reusing FPC code (I converted parts of fpimage) that would save a lot of time.

(the bad stuff,private)
- the price. I only use my personal delphi copy for an occasional commercial project, and I barely earned back the initial price.

(the good stuff, for in my job)
- Do I really need unicode? The few forms I have at work might be translated the old way.
- Have D2006 licenses at work already.
- generics is always nice, specially for containers. If it works decently on value types even for more maybe.

(the bad stuff, work)
- price not so much of a problem, if there is real progress.
- Need compatible free version though, to pair with the paid for one. We still use D2006 instead of D2007 because of Turbo Delphi (most of our apps are TD compat with runtime instantiations), because we install TD's occasionally at customers. It is quick, painless, and don't care about licenses. Sometimes we also give source of minor utils that interface with our apps to customers with a copy(link) of TD.