View Poll Results: Worth upgrade?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • no

7 25.93%
  • yes

20 74.07%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Delphi 2009 "Tiburon", a worth upgrade since D7?

Delphi 2009 "Tiburon", a worth upgrade since D7?

pool added, lets vote
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

I think I will stick to delphi 2007.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Don't want to sound like a troll here but you do know that FPC had Exit(value) for ages now right?

On the generics thing, yes, FPC generics are bugged and incomplete, but they are "alpha feature", mostly there for people to see/test and criticize.
    Feel the power of Open Source.
    <br />Feel the power of Free Pascal.

Quote Originally Posted by Almindor
    Don't want to sound like a troll here but you do know that FPC had Exit(value) for ages now right?
    I knew it had it, but I don't use it after an experience once where a piece of code containing such an exit statement exerted some strange behaviour. Can't reproduce it though, so no help there

On the generics thing, yes, FPC generics are bugged and incomplete, but they are "alpha feature", mostly there for people to see/test and criticize.
    I like the FPC implementation to some degree. I think it would be awesome if you could sacrifice some of the strictness and let people declare new generics classes in runtime

like:
    [pascal]function GetMatrices(const quats: array of TQuaternion): TList<TMatrix>;
    begin
    result := TListConverter<TQuaternion>.Create(quats).ConvertT oListOfMatrix;
    end;[/pascal]

Another thing: "Warning: Global Generic template references static symtable". Does that mean something that I should be afraid of?
    Peregrinus, expectavi pedes meos in cymbalis
    Nullus norvegicorum sole urinat

Sounds like some new cool features, but I also would like to see multi platform support. Personally I think that since D2006 was pretty much on the right track for worth updating since D7. It had still a lot of bugs though. D2007 I think was a must update for vista developers like myself.

I'll disagree there, the only bug I found was in the stable release--where it was practically a pre-alpha feature. In the latest lazarus development release the generics support is much better, even though I, like Traveler, wouldn't mind it being less strict.

I'm really looking forward to the new Delphi, now I use D2007 and I'm very pleased of it, it has everything I need. It's amazing that they decided to implement generics - now it feels like Delphi finally got stronger than C++ or at least it's as strong as C++. Those anonymous methods are weird to me - what's the use of them, really? :? A new Exit method - I guess I don't need it - I use my own logging class and that's enough for me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, does Delphi have static fields? I'd like to see them in D2010 or whatever (ofc if they aren't present yet). ^^

How can you be wrong when you're asking a question?
    AFAIK static fields don't exist in Delphi. I've looked for it on a few occasions we're it would have been useful but with no luck.
    Does anyone know why static fiels don't exist? Perhaps a limitation to the Pascal language (though I can't see why)?
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

What do you mean with static fields? Delphi has static(class) members for classes but not for local variables
    Peregrinus, expectavi pedes meos in cymbalis
    Nullus norvegicorum sole urinat

Quote Originally Posted by pstudio
    How can you be wrong when you're asking a question?
    :lol: Yeah, good point!
    Quote Originally Posted by JSoftware
    What do you mean with static fields?
    For all I know, a static field is a class field whose value is shared between all class instances. F.x.:
    Code:
    class X
    &#123;
    public&#58;
          static int i;
    &#125;;

X a, b, c;

a&#58;&#58;i = 10;
    And now, all three class instances (a, b, c) have the same value for i.

Is it possible in Delphi?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast