Thread: Wanted - A network delay simulator

Wanted - A network delay simulator

I've written an application that talks to some hardware via http. OK, so this isn't a game but what I'm after would be useful when I get around to adding network stuff to my work-in-progress one. What I'm after is some way to simulate delays on the internet. I guess I'm after some software that will delay packets and generally cause trouble so that I can see how my apps handle these issues. Has anyone used such a program ?

Don't know of such a program, but if you download several torrents at full speed you will have packet delays for sure.

use a program that uses tons of conections,

an option, like cronodragon said, download several torrents at same time.
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Sleep();
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

I've been in contact with these people http://www.shunra.com/free_ve_desktop_standard_trial and have downloaded their 30 day trial software. I'll let you know if its any good. I noticed that Microsoft's XNA framework has built in support for testing network conditions. I might have a go at producing a utility that does something similar for us Delphi users

Thanks for all your suggestions for delaying the packets. I also need a solution that will drop packets and mix up the order they arrive so I also need a more advanced solution than just a delay. Hopefully this trial application will provide what I'm after.

TCP packets never mix up order btw.