Thread: Obfuscator query

Obfuscator query

Has anyone used an Obsfucator, such as ProGuard with MIDlet Pascal?

I'm really struggling to understand what I need to do to obfuscate a .jar file...

Created a 'Hello World' application, and even tried a MIDlet that was created with a 'proper' Java IDE...but can't seem to comprehend how it all works...

I can list the errors if necessary if anyone is familiar with using such a thing...

Thanks in advance,
    Determined to crack this programming lark...

Obfuscator query

Java isn't technically compiled, but rendered into a compressed semi-binary form that is faster to load. From what I know, the VM still remembers the function names, the object names and methods, and so on. Thus if you're descriptive they could pull it apart enough to know what you've done, and steal your source code.

The obfuscator would work much like the javascript ones, they mangle names and methods to make it harder to understand.

This is as far as I understand, and I could be wrong.

Obfuscator query

Thanks for the reply Robert,

What I was trying to do was 'obscure' some code, The MIDlet Pascal compiler generates byte-sized Java code, but unfortunately has a 'nasty foot-print' . It falsely comes up with your generated code as a virus in scanners such as Norton. This was due to someone making a virus with it. And guess it never got 'cleared' of the virus scanners because by the MIDlet Pascal team, because it is now an abandonded project by them for some while.

I am not being lazy when I ask for someone to help if they know how to use an obsfucator, I have just hit a brick wall. And maybe goes outside the scope of what this website is all about - Pascal.

However had a bit of a re-think, I'll shall try and compile a simple 'Hello World' app in Java, using Java code and using the NetBeans IDE and the WTK toolkit that is used for Java (theres and obfuscate option in there, so maybe I missing other stuff needed and can't just do it with a .jar file)

It's just fun seeing Pascal on a phone! Maybe someday so one would do a PVM (Pascal Virtual Machine) that runs on anything, anywhere

Re: Obfuscator query

Should have closed this one off ages ago...sorry...think I replied elsewhere.

Worked out now how to use ProGuard to obfuscate MIDlet Pascal so the .jars scan virus free.